Sounds like a math problem....
Well, the POTUS finally released his long awaited list of 23 executive orders that he signed today to curb gun violence. He did not, despite what many of us thought, sign anything that directly prohibited the sale or manufacture of "assault weapons" or high capacity magazines. He did come out openly against them and asked congress to pass strict legislation similar to New York's recent decent into Hell that would strongly curtain the rights of US citizens.
Click here to see his "plan"
For the most part, what he presented was a mix of "duh" and "meh" to me... A lot of these are things that many of "us" have said the federal government should of been doing all along, and other items fell into the "I'm not sure what that will really do" category and still others landed in the "a warm fuzzy that we talked about it won't really do shit" category.
Here they are with my thoughts, as relevant.
1. "Issue a presidential memorandum to require federal agencies to
make relevant data available to the federal background check system."
OK, this seems to make sense...share info at the federal level where the NICS checks are made at ..
2. "Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the
Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent
states from making information available to the background check
So if your doctor thinks you are depressed he can now have you put on the "no no" list...maybe 60% OK with this if he feels you are a danger to yourself or others...
3. "Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system."
What "incentive" should we give them to do the job they should be doing anyway?
4. "Direct the attorney general to review categories of individuals
prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not
slipping through the cracks."
Like Mexican drug cartels? OK, that was low... accurate, but low. They will probably add veterans to that list since the DHS has already classified us as threats...yay!
5. "Propose rulemaking to give law
enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual
before returning a seized gun."
At no cost to the individual and on the spot correct? SO..if I am pulled over with my CCW and pistol and the officer takes it from me for a minute, it should only take a minute to get it back, correct?
6. "Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers
providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers."
Uh...the same way you do it now if somebody buys a gun online and has it shipped to a FFL for the customer to pick up....I guess they don't realize this already happens.
7. "Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign."
"He's the one they call Mr. Feelgood....He's the one that makes you feel all right"
8. "Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission)."
Which will eventually lead to laws requiring all gun owners purchase expensive safes and such that further inhibit a persons ability to exercise their Constitutional right....
9. "Issue a presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations."
WTF? They don't do this already? So much for what I learned on CSI....
10. "Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement."
To do what with?
11. "Nominate an ATF director."
Or dictator....whats a few letters...
12. "Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations."
Again, WTF, this isn't being done already?
13. "Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime."
Try really, really.....REALLY hard this time guys....
14. "Issue a presidential memorandum directing the Centers for
Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence."
If they come back with the way to prevent gun violence is to get rid of guns it will not surprise me a bit....and why are we treating gun violence likes a flu strain going around by asking these nerds?
15. "Direct the attorney general to issue a report on the
availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and
challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies."
More people thinking that thumb print sensors on guns is not only a viable technology, but easy enough to do that its feasible...."hey, I saw it done in this movie!"
16. "Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes."
The affordable care act....see a few less dollars in this month's pay.? That's that act in action raising your FICA taxes that was just passed after the POTUS promised not to raise taxes on the middle class....
17. "Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no
federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law
OK...if we need to spell it out to a bunch of folks that spent 8+ years in college to be doctors we need to...
18. "Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers."
Incentives = Tax money
19. "Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education."
Is it too soon to point out Sandy Hook had one of those and enacted it the day of the shooting and I feel it helped to save further lives from being lost....probably is...
20. "Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover."
Because they don't have time to page through that massive Obamacare law congress passed to find it themselves.....hell, CONGRESS didn't read it!
21. "Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges."
What does this have to do with gun violence?
22. "Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations."
Commit? or just "finalize"! I commit to get off of my fat ass and run and lose weight often....and just as often I (obviously) fail. As the great philosopher once said "Do, or not do....there is no try"
23. "Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health."
What are we doing now then? You had a big "summit" with Joey B and the gang where you invited both sides of the issue in...and when you say both sides you mean anyone against your agenda must be for dead children btw.... Oh yeah, I forgot, you brought in the NRA and other pro-2A groups, talked down to them and then made it look like you were reaching out.
2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)