2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A Cult of Personality....

...is usually not a good thing at the national level...

Looking at the movies on Netflix the other night and noticed the epic movie Platoon was available.  It had been a while since I saw it so I selected it and gave it a good watch for a while.  Noticed this guy in it....



If you are scratching your head trying to figure out how Charlie Sheen got so tan, stop.  Its actually actor Corey Glover playing the role of Francis in the film.  Glover was also the lead singer of the band Living Colour (not to be confused with the TV show "In Living Color" which aired around the same time as the bands heyday) which cranked out the hit "Cult of Personality" in 1988, after he had been in this Oliver Stone tainted view of the war in Vietnam. 

Here's a pic of how Corey Glover looked during his singing days then...
No, he wasn't getting ready to run in a track meet, this was the 80's, its how we rolled back then...along with Elvis collar BDU's and black boots that you spit shined....

The one song the band is most famously known for is "Cult of Personality" (of course, otherwise this post's title would seem out of place.  The song still rocks to this day and the fact back then that a group of black guys were lighting up rock stations with their music back then when all the other artists on the playlist were long haired white guys raised a few eyebrows as well.   The song sings about how sometimes we pick out leaders not based on their ideas but on how they come across on purely a likeable, believable or some other way that makes people follow them regardless of their true abilities to lead. 

Lyrics...

Look in my eyes, what do you see?
The cult of personality
I know your anger, I know your dreams
I've been everything you want to be
I'm the cult of personality
Like Mussolini and Kennedy
I'm the cult of personality
The cult of personality
The cult of personality

Neon lights, a Nobel prize
Than the mirror speaks, the reflection lies
You won't have to follow me
Only you can set me free

I sell the things you need to be
I'm the smiling face on your tv
I'm the cult of personality
I exploit you, still you love me
I tell you one and one makes three
I'm the cult of personality
Like Joseph Stalin and Gandhi
I'm the cult of personality
The cult of personality
The cult of personality

Neon lights, a Nobel prize
When a leader speaks, that leader dies
You won't have to follow me
Only you can set you free (?)

You gave me fortune
You gave me fame
You gave me power in your god's name
I'm every person you need to be
I'm the cult of personality (I'm the cult of, I'm the cult of)
I'm the cult of, I'm the cult of, I'm the cult of, I'm the cult of (I'm the cult of)
I'm the cult of, I'm the cult of, I'm the cult of, I'm the cult of personality (I'm the cult of)
Ask not what your country can do for you 

Neon Light?  A Nobel prize?

Holy crap, were these guys fortune tellers or what?  With as much "star power" that our current Prez has in Hollywierd and the fact that he was given a Nobel prize by that idiotic society for doing nothing has got me thinking about one person after listening to it...

"..and over there is Hawaii, which costs the taxpayers $3 million a pop to fly me there and back on vacation...."

That's right the 2008, 2012 and frontrunner for 2013 NRA Salesman of the Year himself.... President Obama.  Now I am fairly certain that if I asked him, Corey would say he was a supporter of our president and probably would also so say that he supports his assault on our 2nd Amendment rights (most actors in Hollywood that have used a gun on screen to help make themselves some money often do feel this way it seems), and would probably object to me using his song and lyrics to make this comparison. 

However...

Don't really care at this point.  Not only do I have my POTUS openly waging war against my Constitutional right to bear arms for my own protection, security and pleasure...but now I am seeing things that somebody is trying to introduce legislation to overturn the 22nd amendment limiting presidents to 2 consecutive terms.   This would set the stage for President Obama to sit in the White House for another term after this once ends (and it hasn't even started yet....).   This I can not stand by and idly watch.

Folks, contact your representatives and tell them that you want to keep your right to bear arms and the limits we have set on our governing leaders to keep power in check.  Remember, when given the chance to basically rule as a king in our fledgling country, George Washington declined the opportunity noting that power corrupts and that we did not need to create one king to replace another.  Lets remember that lesson now 200+ years later...

In the meantime, politics aside, this song still stands up on its own feet 25 years after it was released...


No comments: