Phishing is a huge nuisance on the web, often joked about as the Nigerian Bank Scam after the numerous emails circulated by criminals in that African nation purposing to be some type of ousted royalty or government figure that is willing to give the person who allows him to deposit his ill gotten booty into their bank a portion of the wealth. Yeah, right. Its a form of social engineering aimed at taking advantage of a person's sense of need or desire for wealth and security by exploiting the human element of the communication to willfully give up information used for criminal activity (most likely identity theft) and by doing so bypass any and all technological security measures. Phishing is responsible for Billions (with a "B") of dollars of loss in the US alone.
Well, phishing isn't always relegated to your inbox as the initial form of communication... Check out the following pic....
|Rule #1 against phishing...if it seems too good to be true it probably is!!|
Couple of things to note...
- Poor English usage is a good sign of a scam coming from outside the county....although it should be noted that with our current education system poor usage of the English language is common anyway.
- Shipping a gun from overseas via private airline? Please, not only would that violate import regulations but if you have access to a private airline why the hell do you need to sell your gun at a loss to me?
- Offering to ship a firearm across state lines without going through the proper FFL...illegal. Sorry buddy, I like to own my firearms, not have them confiscated for doing a d-bag move like that.
- Asking way too much information from me....my drivers licence # and occupation, you don't need to know that....unless you were trying to set up a shadow identity with it to establish illegal credit lines in my name.
- More badly Engrish to end the email.
Wow, sad part is that if these things didn't work they wouldn't take the time to keep sending them out, so somebody must be sending this guy money from this. I reported the listing as a scam right away, but still some poor sap will probably put some money in this guys pocket.