2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

NYC makes me scratch my head...

Most of those are air guns mind you...

Form EDNDO comes this article about a man arrested for having and "arsenal" in the NYC Burrough of Queens consisting of:

  • 2 handguns (Beretta 92 and Glock 22 by the looks of them)
  • 26 magazines
  • 10,537 rounds of ammo
  • 32 machetes
  • 60 knives
  • 16 air pistols
  • 1 air rifle
  • 7 tasers
  • 8 brass nuckles
  • 9 batons
  • 10 pairs of handcuffs
  • .....AND A PARTRIDGE IN A PEAR TREE!!!  (and I am pretty sure that is illegal in NYC too!)

In reality, in NYC owning a handgun is illegal because a city of 8 million + adults can't be trusted with them I guess....or 24oz big gulps either it seems.  The funny thing to those of us in the "flyover" states is that many of us could match - or even exceed - these totals yet we feel no unnecessary need to go out and murder or shoot up things.

OK, so this guy is "a bit off" according to the article, is that illegal?  Illegal enough to warrant a search of his property because someone heard gunshots - and as we know nobody gets shot in NYC...ok, maybe by cops, but nobody gets shot by criminals...ok, well maybe just the 2,871 people shot between 2003-2011 by guns in the city (source) - but no real gun violence happens there with their strict gun laws...so it must of been this guy, right?  I thought that we were supposed to brace diversity in this country and the "uniqueness" of others...but this guy being a vet and NRA member must of surely singled him out to the cops.

Look, I am not saying this guy is not guilty of firing those shots, not saying the police in NYC are a bunch of trigger happy folks (they have to enforce the laws as written, don't they?)....I actually don't have much more knowledge of this incident other than the article.  I do know this though, I do not have any desire to visit NYC.  Not if the way the city views gun owners is as criminals waiting for a crime.  I can spend my tourism dollars in far better place.  The wife has wanted to go for a while but I will continue to direct our travel elsewhere.  The city is run by a mayor who sends his officers many, many jurisdictions away to perform "sting" operations on citizens exercising their right to free trade at gun shows and paints them as violent criminals.  He treats his own citizens as children unable to make their own life choices and must decide what they may and may not drink there.  Screw that, I like big gulps once in a while...

After 9/11 many newscasters found it chic to say "we are all New Yorkers today...".  Well, I may have been a sympathetic American with my fellow Americans on that day....but I sure as hell am never going to allow myself to be considered a New Yorker!  Sorry if you are from NYC and take offense... you may try and dictate our entertainment, our news, our sports (those damn Yankees - and not the band Uncle Ted was in!) and other aspects of us living in the middle part of the country, but I will be damned if I let you dictate my constitutional rights!

Oh yeah, I hate rats too.   According to the New York Times, 28.7 percent of rental units and 7.6 percent of owner-occupied housing reported rat infestations in 2005.  Screw that as well. 

No comments: