2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Surplus Firearms magazine kaput

Picked up the latest, and last, copy of Surplus Firearms magazine by Guns&Ammo last night.  I have come to love this trove of historical data over the past few years and have picked up most issues that I have found on the shelves.  Apparently, my patronage and that of others was not enough to keep it in print any longer.

Where else could you find out about the 1911's baptism of fire in the American Punitive Excursion to Mexico and the fact that the Japanese Arisaka rifle had ladder sights with lead indicators to engage aircraft all in the same issue?  More importantly, it opened my eyes to the world of C&R collecting and for that I will be forever in debt to the publishers and writers.

I still have other resources on the web for info on these historic weapons (abet few, far between and getting fewer and fewer as time goes on), but it was always great to have a print copy to have to read in my chair at the end of the day.  I hope some of the other "gun rags" decide to include some of these types of weapons going forward.

No comments: