2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Monday, July 16, 2012

Some tidbit ramblings for you...

A few smaller posts I just kind of strung together for you here...don't have too much to say on each topic so maybe this will be a better read together.

US Olympic Uniforms



OK, so Ralph Lauren designs the uniforms for our Olympic athletes and has them made in China.  Harry Reid  goes ape shit and demands that we burn them because they are not made in America.  Many others follow suit.  I see the point, and its a valid point mind you, but give me a break.  By that logic we should send troops into every Walmart and burn each and every non-USA made product in there.  Hey, we can dispatch tanks and Bradleys on the highways to pick off Honda's and Hyundai's as well. Everybody on the web posting on FaceBook and Twitter about this on your Samsung and iPhones...quick, where was it made?  AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!

Ralph Lauren has already come out and said next Winter Olympic uniforms will be made in the USA, end of story.  Oh, and by the way...Ralph pays for these himself, the US Olympic committee does not reimburse him.

I am more annoyed at the fact that they apparently let Samuel L. Jackson design the headgear....nothing says "America"..like a French beret...
Parlez Vous American...
While we are talking Olympics..


..Then this terrorist says to me "Allah Akbar" and tries to blow himself up...I say
"Bloody hell you will!" and rip his fuckin' arm off with the detonator and shag his
own arse with it! Good show that was, then me and my mate went down to the pub
grabbed some fish and chip and a pint....terrorists...fuckin' wankers!...
I see that Britain will be providing somewhere around 17,000 troops to beef up security in and around Olympic avenues for the upcoming games.  That's a lot of soldiers.  I also see that there are more than a few Londoners that are upset with the military presence in their city.  Excuse me, maybe I missed something...wasn't there a known terrorist just arrested there scoping out one of the Olympic avenues a week or so ago?


The F-22 Raptor makes me dizzy...and its pilots too..




The F-22 Raptor is the air superiority fighter that is supposed to lead the US Air Force into dominance for the next 50 years, or so we would be told.  Its combination of speed, stealth, maneuverability and avionics were second to none and could counter any foreseeable threat in the future.  In reality right now they do dominate...anywhere within 30 minutes of an established airbase and under 44,000 feet.  Apparently the plane has a issue with causing pilots to get dizzy. A inflatable vest designed to provide pressure against the chest of pilots to keep their lungs from exploding if the cockpit depressurizes (shattered by shrapnel I guess) is actually pressing hard enough in high G maneuvers to keep the pilots from breathing correctly.

This issue has been attributed to a pilots death already and caused the fleet of Raptors to be grounded in the past. This from the same plane that infamously locked one of its pilots inside due to a software malfunction until ground crews demolished the $100,000 canopy to extract him a few years ago.   I guess $211,000,000 per plane does not get you as much as it used to.

In comparison, for the cost to taxpayers for one F-22 you could also buy:


  • 1/10th of a Virginia class submarine
  • 2 V-22 Osprey VTOL transport planes (and have $20 mil for the premium accessory packages on both)
  • 2 F-18 Hornets (which don't make their pilots dizzy BTW)
  • 131 Joint Mine Resistant Ambush Protected Vehicles 
  • 49 M-1 Abrams MBT
  • 204,457 M4 Rifles
  • Approx. 811,530,000 5.56mm M855 rounds of ammo.
  • Approx. 29,000,000 MRE's


A "safe" way to end this post...

Its getting to the point that I cannot put it off any longer, I need a bigger safe.  Actually what I have a home is a "locker", not overly secure but good enough to keep my kid away from them and its locked behind several doors.  Collecting a few recent rifles has just proven too much for my current accommodation to hold .  I have been looking at safes in local adds (like above) for a while and while some of these look pretty sturdy, some other info I have found on the web makes me think that these are not all they are cracked up to be.  I guess maybe if I lived in a more "crime ridden" neighborhood I might be more discerning, but for my budget these are the types I have been looking at.  Check out the video below and post any comments or experiences you may have with these safes.  Its a long, but educational watch.  I know the guy is selling a particular brand of safe with this info, but he is very knowledgeable and its a good overview of what I am looking at and there is a price/performance ratio consideration as well.



4 comments:

Ret Redhat said...

The Atlanta Olympics 1996 had 35,000 Guard / Reserve deployed. at that time the largest Guard Reserve peacetime deployment in US History. Troops were NOT allowed to bring POVs,but had unlimited use of the MARTA system. Units rotated in and out with a plan that was so detailed that there was very little waiting for transportation from the airport to our billets at a local High school. When we were scheduled to leave, our units plane was landing as we were finishing at the out processing center. The same time the next leaving unit was arriving on a bus.

Huey said...

I missed that one because I was in Admin hell at our state headquarters in Columbus....knew a lot of guys who went though...Most of the Ohio units had finished I and left before the bombings

Ret Redhat said...

We arrvied the day of the bombing, was asleep in a gymnasium when the news broke . We did a head count and one of our senior NCO's stayed up to check all of our people in.Went to one of the 2 payphones in the building, about three 3people in line. Used a calling card to advise home I was ok. Was on phone for about 1 minute and the line had grown to 50 +. We came home on Wed after closing of games. Did enough time at W Dublin Granville before switching branches.

Huey said...

Dublin-Granville...yep, know that place, worked there AGR from 94-98 in that big 'ol records office right on the drill floor...later returned to STARC/JFHQ/whatever-they-may-call-temselves-now after my fun year at Ft. Knox with the 148th..did mob readiness prep for units as the guy who hauled the ID Card and DEERS machine around for a few years before volunteering to head over with the 437th PSD and retired directly after that..I would say small world, but hell, its only Ohio!