2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Friday, June 29, 2012

Home...a poem by my friend Robert

Roberts is a friend I have never met in person.  We met on FaceBook while both discussing some veteran related issues on common page we belonged to at the time.  Since then we have communicated at various times through FaceBook and other mediums.  Unlike me, Erik did not have a leisure tour overseas...matter of fact he had a couple of rough ones as a paratrooper in the 82nd Airborne.   While I can post about my experiences trudging through a Groundhog day like existence pleasing one officer after another while complaining about the lack of service at the Starbucks, Erik could post about friends no longer here and day and weeks spent in the company of death.  To say the least, the war left an impression on him.  I think its safe to say that the war ripped him in two.  Like many he struggles with the person he is now compared to the person he was during the war and constantly tries to reconcile the two. Recently he has started to get some help to calm his demons.  I believe this is part of that process...

Home....by Erik Robert A.

The poppy fields are long behind me, yet i walk them every night,
when i lay my head upon the pillow, i'm right back in the fight.
the war is done, my bags are packed, and i am back at home,
but when i close my eyes at night, it's afghanistan i roam.
the killing's done, my weapon's cleaned, my gear is put away,
now i patrol the halls of academia, each and every day.
but it really doesn't matter, however far I roam,
for when i close my eyes at night, Afghanistan's my home.

Become whole again soon my friend. 

No comments: