2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Friday, June 1, 2012

Dusk of the Dead.....

Yeah, its kind of like that... (if you don't know what this is you must be a lot younger than me)
OK, gotta get something off of my chest....this isn't going to be easy....

Here it goes....

I have zombie burn out....and I don't think I am alone.  Matter of fact, I think there is a form of the zombie epidemic going on...too much zombie commercialization.....  At some point the entire concept of the zed apocalypse has crossed over from a slight diversion or distraction from reality into actual reality.  I don't know how, but I think somehow we actually willed this phenomenon into existence...

White Zombie (1932).  "I see the future...crap...they screw this entire thing up
around 2010..."
First we had the classic zombie movies....White Zombie going way back and then the rebirth of the genre with Romero and the Italians decades later.  From that came zombie fiction...then zombie targets...zombie stickers and the like.  Next we got some kick ass newer movies and even some TV shows.  And lord knows we have had more than our fair share of zombies to blow away in video games...  All in fun...hell I have used the targets and have a zombie hunting permit sticker on my truck...


...and then it went strange.

Zombie...Cake Boss?!?!

We started to have zombie flash mobs...zombie runs and zombie shooting contests. People started to sell, and we started to buy, items that really could be used against zombies if they existed. The line between hypothetically discussing how to prepare for Z-day on internet forums and social networking sites and actually doing it was crossed.  Strange.  Just take a look at some of this stuff...
I like the LCP..not the LCPZ

SHOT show got over run by zed ware...

really?

a "tactical lever action" is doable...a zombie TLA though...

Nice kit....but really?

Not even going to comment here....

normally pistol bayonets are stupid..."zombie green"?  fuggedaboutit....

another one I wont justify with a comment...

Apparently some good ammo...but you pay a premium over  other similar
ammo by Hornady for having a zombie tag...

et tu EoTech?

Seriously, some of this stuff may be cool looking and all...but do we actually NEED to be branding stuff like this with neon green paint and biohazard symbols?

Now, I will admit that many of us (myself included) often add some stuff to our weapons we don't need.."mall ninja" it up so to speak.  So whats the difference between looking like you're a wannabe Navy SEAL  and looking like you're a wannabe Navy SEAL ready to take on Osama Bin Zombie?  Well, a lot legally of you ask me.  We live in a world where we have over zealous prosecutors pushing anti-gun agendas even in cases where self defense was clearly demonstrated.  You have enough to worry about trying to prove why you were carrying a 15 round "high powered" Glock 19 instead of a 5 round S&W revolver to show you weren't "looking" for a fight. Imagine if that Glock is painted florescent green with a bio hazard back plate and "Zombie Killer" etched into the side loaded with Z max ammo (which of course are "evil" hollowpoints).  Hey, I am not a lawyer but I can read the news and 2A boards like everyone else and I can notice there IS a difference in trials where "elaborate" guns are used.

"Osama Bin Zombie"?  Sure, dump a body into the ocean after its been contaminated
by millions of gallons of radioactive waster water from Japan after a Tsunami and see what happens.
I am for the maintenance of a "Go bag" if you decide to use a firearm for personal or home defense.  I do not see the wearing of camo as a sign that you are a militant whack job when all you are is an outdoorsman (most military clothing was designed for the same environment that hunters and fishermen enjoy, hence the crossover adoption of it) no more so that I would say a "hoodie" is a sign that someone is a criminal (oooh, I went there).  I will support you whether you decide to open or conceal carry your firearm (although my thoughts on that subject are a entire post in itself).  What I must take umbrage with is how as a culture we have now moved away from purely enjoying the fantasy of the zombie and moved it into actual weapons that can be used for that purpose.  Yes, thats right, our "hobby" is concerned with the collection and use of devices designed to hurt other people and things as well as put holes into paper targets.

Now to add fuel to the fire we have all of these "zombie attack" stories in the news.  A guy bites another guy's face off in Miami, shot by police, keeps eating until killed.  Another guy admits to eating his room mate.  A man disembowels himself in front of police and then throws his innards at them.  A 41 year old doctors spits blood at police.  A member of WTA was actually interviewed by a legitimate web site about the phenomena. We have so much zombie on the brain even the CDC used the genre as a way to enforce its plan for homeland incidents, think about it, the isolational type defense against getting near zombies would also work well against biological agents that are vectored from one individual to another.

This is being tossed about the Miami face chomper as if it were fact....BS more like it..

 All of these factors may seem to be individual pieces to a bigger zed puzzle, and some are pretty sick and twisted in their own right, but added up do they predict an actual zombie outbreak?

I think not.

Its all hype folks.  There have been cases that might be taken as zombie like in the past but maybe this guy in Miami just pushed the envelope a bit and now everything is zombie like.  Has the guy he bit become infected and reanimated as the walking dead? I think not.  Its all just one big gross coincidence. There have been other such incidents before and last time I checked we hadn't had to enact Contingency Plan Zulu.  I mean, was Ed Gein a zombie? Or how about Jeffrey Dahmer?  I even remember a sports announce who was...how should we say?...a bit bitey when "in the mood".

Are you talking about me? 
Look, we all know zombies aren't real.  Yeah, its fun to imagine how you would do against a horde of the undead, kind of like the ultimate test of individualism in a way.  Watching movies and shows with them in them and next to the Nazi, the zombie is almost the perfect foe in a video game.  What I think is funny is how the mass media has just bought right into the zombie craze ignoring the fact that to many hard core prepper types the zombie can be seen as a justification of all of the unprepared individuals that would be wandering around looking for resources that they stockpiled, and how they may have to respond to said "zombies" they came in contact with.

You know they say a person is smart but people are stupid. I think there is validity in this.  I am just cringing to hear how somebody actually took out a "Zed" with his "tactical zombie special Glock with a glow in the dark bayonet and nuclear waste detector".  That will not be a good day for the community...

I am not saying the actuality of a virus, bacteria or chemical causing humans to act aggresively towards others is not out of the bounds of reality, just look at the bath salt guy in Miami (everything seems to point at him, I know).  Just saying that because a person may be acting weird and starts chomping on another guys face does not necessarily make him (or her) a zombie and also doesn't mean we need to start enforcing head shots as a standard for defensive shooting situations.

What I think we need to do as a collective gun culture is separate our obsession with the zombie as a symbol of conformity or whatever metaphor they may represent in your worldview from what is actually real.  That being our weapons.  I am afraid that the antis will take all of these zed marked items as a sign that we take owning a firearm much too casually.  I know, it will pain us all to rid our rifles and pistol of the green accessories and such and go back to being a group of folks reminiscent of the movie Red Dawn (when I watch that I always yell "BUCKEYES!" instead of that "other word"!) but in the war of public perception and opinion I think it will serve us well.

I know, last time I posted I almost sounded like an alarmist anti-gunner with my child safety lock rant and today I must seem like a Fudd...but damn it, enough is enough.

That being said I am going to go play COD and kill some Nazi zombies while I wait for the new season of The Walking Dead and for World War Z to finally be released in the theaters....

No comments: