2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Friday, June 22, 2012

Another 870 finds its way to the gun vault...

Some deals I just can't pass up...

A few days ago I posted on my Facebook page for the blog (you do use FaceBook, right?) that Vance's in Columbus had gotten the contract to replace and update all of the 1,400+ shotguns in use by the Ohio State Highway Patrol (OSHP).  They now have the 1,400 Remington 870 police units that they received in turn in for sale for $299 a piece.  They are the 870 Police model with +3 mag tube extensions, low profile rifle sight and a side saddle shell carrier (6 round).  They are parkerized with some normal wear from the ones I looked at.  Like most police trade ins they will be worn more on the finish than in the actions or the barrels. All in all a pretty good deal.  They are not advertised...yet, I am sure as soon as they make a sales flyer people will be flocking in to get them.  Don't worry though, they have so many that this is how they are storing them on the floor...
Cart o' shotguns..

I couldn't resist and had to get one tonight.  My current 870 is currently in the hands of Matt at Coleburn Armory in Washington state getting some Cerakote applied, so now I have another "back up" gun to use.

I have not had a chance to get to take it down but it seems to be in very good shape and cycles well using my 12 gauge snap caps.  The finish is pretty darn good and the plastic furniture does not show that much wear and tear.  Speaking of the plastic furniture...just so you can remember where it came from, each gun has a OSHP emblem on the bottom of the grip.



As I said above all of them come with +3 magazine tube extensions and a 6 round shell carrier on the side of the receiver.  These items will cost you around $100 in the retail market and add to the value of the gun.


The shotguns also come with simple ramp style low profile sights for slug use.  I will have to check these out to see how well they work with some foster slugs this weekend.


Overall I was pretty happy to pick up a "Police" model for that price equipped as it is.  But then I had to ask, what was the difference between the police and the other models in the 870 lineup?  A quick check on Google brought up a thread on the Glock Talk forum with this piece of info from Remington...
Remington 870 Police vs. Express models

I read farther down the thread and found another opinion from J.D. McGuire who owns AI&P Tactical, a company that seems to specialize in custom Remington 870 builds.   His opinion is that there is not so much as mechanical differences in the different weapons but more marketing differences.  I do not think that he indicates that the police model is not a better overall build than the express or other models, just that the qualitative increases in material in the police model over the express does not equivocate to the extra money to buy one.  His thoughts on the subject are as follows...

There is only one 870 and they only differ by finish and furniture. Every time this topic comes up somone down loads this marketing mess from Remington. No 870 is built with the ISS safety any longer. Every 870 that comes with an tube extension has the same mag tube mounted in the receiver as the P but it is a matte finish not parkerized like the P. The only difference in your 870 Express HD and the P is the finish, furniture and about $30 in small parts. In fact, go to the 870 retail parts list on www.remington.com and you could build an 870P 4+1 with a synthetic stock for $46 less then you could build an Express 4+1 with the same stock Not that anyone would as they would cost to much). How, to start the 18.5" Parkerized police barrel with bead sight sells for $96 and the 18.5" matter finish Express barrel with bead sight cost $131. The bolts are identical but the Express has the $5 MIM extractor and the P has the $13 solid steel extractor yet both cost the exact same, $93.10. How the heck does that comput. The polymer trigger plate assembly for the Express is $80 and the metal P assembly is $86.90, why, because there are two different springs in the P. I have the polymer in all my 870. It is more durable, stays cleaner inside and if I ding or scratch it I don't have to worry about refinishing it like the metal ones that are painted. I know some other parts buy will keep that to my self. When you buy a new P you are getting a fantasic weapon but you are paying for a word engraved on the reciever and about $30 in parts. Think your P receiver is different? It is not. It is the same receiver as on the Express and Wingmaster. Go to the parts list and you will see the Police receiver cost $239.05, the Express receiver cost $239.05 and the Wingmaster receiver cost $239.05...why do those receivers all cost the same. Because they are the exact same receivers. If you own any 870 then your weapon is as good as the next guys no matter what is engraved on the receiver.
So basically, all 870's are the same minus finish and some internal parts.  Some stuff to think about there...

Still for the condition and amenities that I found on the 870 I took home, I consider the price to be fairly good for this type of firearm considering that a base police model new seems to be going for $600+ in the stores.




26 comments:

DarrenS said...

Was this the Columbus or Hebron location? Looks like I need to take a road trip up from Cincinnati tomorrow!

Ret Redhat said...

Dangit I KNOW what I have to do tommorow morning now.pio XII

Huey said...

It was Vances in Columbus...but Buckeye in Hebron will get some as well I was told...don't worry..they got a ton to sell..I am thinking as soon as this makes one of their adds watch out though...

Ret Redhat said...

Got one today. It is still great shape other than scratches from the cruiser rack. Thanks for the heads up.

Huey said...

Good to hear....just one though? :-). 2 would of made the drive worth the while.... It's not fair you get to drive to Cbus for this and when I go to Cincy it's because the wife wants to go to Ikea ( which is NOT a CCW friendly place!).

Ret Redhat said...

A lot closer to Vances than that. Already thinking of a couple more. Still planning on cranking up a jungle carbine SMLE and possibly universal M1 on a range trip

DarrenS said...

My brother-in-law and I made the drive up from Cincy and each picked one up. They only had eight or so left and let us paw through them to hand select ours. In addition to the OSHP logon on the pistol grip, the logo is stamped into the receiver under the side saddle. All in all a great deal.

I also picked up a case of the CCI Blazer 22LR they had on sale.

We don't have a shop anywhere near the size and inventory level of Vance's here, so I had to take advantage...at least a little.

Thanks for the heads up!

Huey said...

If you were impressed by Vance's go check out there sister store Buckeye Outdoors a bit farther East in Hebron (about 20 minutes East of Columbus on I-70). About as big a selection and the ammo is not all behind the counter...want 1000 rounds of 5.56 Brown Bear? Right there on the shelf.. Only 8 or so left? Hmmm, I will have to get some more info on that and post it here so some poor guy doesn't drive to Cbus needlessly...but like I said, I was told they were getting / had gotten over 1,000 of them to sell!

Renee said...

My friend in CMH just sent me this post; I'm telling him "buy one, buy two" - I got one of these awhile back at Bud's in Lexington; Nebraska state police trade ins and it was not as good of a deal! This makes me want one for my truck, another for the upstairs of the house, etc. etc. Alas, my husband has me on "Wife, if you buy anymore guns I'm gonna divorce you" notice. Hmmm, where can I hide a few???

Huey said...

Renee - the world needs more women like you!

On a side note, took the 870 out yesterday...thing was dead on at about 25 yards with slugs using the simple blade sights...cycles well...definitely a keeper!

Anonymous said...

Going down there tomorrow, lets see what kind of condition receiver I can snag! Do all come with a side saddle?

Huey said...

They do

Anonymous said...

I was the first in line yesterday morning. When I approached the counter I was told they were out of them! After leaving frustrated and a couple of phone calls back to the store, I found out there was a snag in getting the new one's ready for the OSHP and a delay in getting in the used ones to sell. Now it's just a waiting game.

Huey said...

Wow, sorry to hear that! Hope you didn't drive too far. I was told that they had over a thousand to sell without any indication that they weren't just on the other side of the wall. Hell, look at the picture of them in a shopping cart, seems they were literally falling off of the shelf at the time.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I recognized the shopping cart yesterday when I was there and I go: 'what are those?'. They guy said those weren't the 870's...
It was later confirmed that they are going to have quite a few come in - just not sure how soon.

Huey said...

what was in the shopping cart then?

Anonymous said...

I was so frustrated at the point that I asked him, I don't recall what he said they were..."Oh, no, those are those bla, bla, bla" (some different model or something...)

efrugalliving99 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Handgun Grip said...

Awesome and very informative blog! Keep it up and more power to you!

sarena william said...

Amazing collection, some time Guns give thrilling looks. i am looking forward for more thrilling pictures.

Wet Basement Education said...

I got the call from Vance's yesterday that my 870 was in and I swung by this morning to pick it up. Nice piece...still had the OHP officer's sticker on it.

Anonymous said...

Anyone know if there's any of the 870's left? A friend/co-worker and I are each looking for one. Stumbled across this Blog/thread running searches for LE trade in 870's.

I'm going to call the shop asap.

Thanks,
tp in Texas

Anonymous said...

There is a LOT of remington 870's that the patrol has yet to deliver to Vance's. For those of you that have bought the gun. Take off the side saddle and you'll be suprized. The side has a large OSHP logo engraved into the side. I know a LOT of officers actually are purchasing there own guns. So when you think there is going to be 1,400 out there for sale. ( I don't think that will be the case).

Anonymous said...

They said they would be getting more and I have been watching like a hawk but now they are gone from the website :-(

Huey said...

I think at this point the list of those waiting has probably gotten to that point to where they don't need to advertise outside of Columbus anymore about these (or at all for that matter). Glad I got mine when I did!

Anonymous said...

I know this is an old post so what I sat does not mean a lot at this point but if you take a close look at the twenty or so guns in that cart that they said were not the patrol guns I beg to differ they sure look just like the patrol guns to me I would just guess some how they slipped a few out before they really should have and decided to pull them back off the floor and act like they were never there that's just one guess but some thing fishy happened to the cart guns cause every part of them that you can see in the pic looks just like the patrol gun guess its kinda like the kenedy asassanation we may never know the cart truth lol.