2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Friday, May 11, 2012

Cruffling....when it rains...

OK, maybe not pours....but damn, just got the Nagant pistol and this little beauty appeared on the radar....

A Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk I, got it for - what I consider - a very good price considering the condition of the piece.  This was the standard British infantry rifle of WW2.  The Lee (named after the designer) patterned rifle was the mainstay of the British army for more than half of the 20th century.  "Enfield" comes from one of the large armories that produced the rifle and is usually attached to the model regardless of its place of origin.  I actually believe this particular rifle was build right here in the states by Savage arms from what limited research I have been able to accomplish.  These rifles are often referred to as SMLE ("smellies"), which is actually the name of the No. 1 Mk III patterned Lee rifle, but in casual conversation this can be overlooked as both rifles are still basically the same weapon with some differing features utilizing the same basic action.

Anyway, another post to come on it but for now here are a couple of vids to watch...


Lee-Enfield vs. the Garand...


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1st bolt action I ever fired was a Jungle Carbine at the Delaware Co range back in the mid 70s. You will enjoy your SMLE and probably end up with several more. Leaning towards bringing it out in memory of my Dad and making a range run the morning of Red White and Boom. The only down side is 303 ammo has become expensive. Would NOT recomend attempting to duplicate the "Mad Minute" with old ammo and stripper clips. Enjoy!

Kerry McCauley said...

My first deer rifle was a 303 that my father gave, great gun. When my son was old enough I passed it on to him.