Calderon has dual citizenship status as he is obviously both President of Mexico and Fantasyland...
A few weeks ago the Mexican President Filipe Calderon had a sign erected on the Mexico-US border made with 3 tons of crushed firearms that proclaims "No More Weapons!". He made a speech basically blaming the US for the violence that has racked his country and encouraging US lawmakers to reinstate the "Assault weapons ban". From his speech...
“Dear friends of the United States, Mexico needs your help to stop this terrible violence that we’re suffering. The best way to do this is to stop the flow of automatic weapons into Mexico.”
I cry bullshit. No mas.
This fallacy that the US is primarily responsible for the violence that has rocked our Southern neighbors simply cannot be laughed at anymore with high level propaganda by a foreign government being portrayed by the media in this country. I would go just short as to say that there seems to be some type of conspiracy by anti-gun forces and this foreign government to try and shape our own domestic laws and policy. Just short...
Let me set a few of my thoughts on this subject out there for you to chew on...
- "Automatic Weapons"..hmmm. Maybe its just a bit of meaning lost in translation, but the fully automatic rifles I see in the news being used on Mexican streets by drug cartels in the news are probably not coming from people that are filling out BATFE paperwork and paying hundreds of dollars for tax stamps to obtain these weapons.
- Our border is under a lot of surveillance, not enough to stop it all, but you think we would have stopped at least a few of these large shipments the left wing media would plaster all over the news to show why we need stronger gun laws...where are they?
- Mexico has very strict gun laws of its own...so strict ownership of anything even in .22 is very hard to obtain, yet there are open gun battles and killings happening there at this very moment...why would the same laws in this country be any more effective.
- The corruption in the Mexican government, itself well documented, makes any statement from anyone in power down there subject to scrutiny. There are many reports that the Mexican Army itself has had soldiers defect to the cartels and entire units flip allegiances to them. Hell, there are even reports of Mexican military units crossing our border to secure drug shipments and engaging US citizens and agents in gun fights.
- We have a longer, less secure border with Canada to our North, yet there is no violence to the scale that exists in Mexico. Matter of fact Canada just announced that its long standing practice of requiring citizens to register their weapons is coming to and end.
- And hey, here's a thought...the Mexican president wants to influence the laws concerning the sale and manufacturer of US guns in this country, yet he has his own gun manufacturing facilities in his own country. The Mossberg Maverick 88 shotgun, for one, is made in Mexico and shipped to the US. Why not outlaw the manufacturing of firearms in your own country? Oh yeah, jobs....
- I have maintained for a long time that if there are a large number of automatic weapons being used in Mexico doesn't it make sense that these would be coming from Central and South America, where revolutionary wars and insurrections supplied by Cuba, Russia, China and yes, the US, which border Mexico's Southern border. Some studies now have shown this to be the case.
I can only say this after taking all of this into consideration...Mexico, heal thyself. We cannot take responsibility for you internal problems and conflicts caused by years and years of graft, corruption and mismanagement. Its bad enough that that American taxpayer bears the responsibility of taking care for millions of your citizens that settle in this country illegally and rely on our welfare system to their existence. You have many wonderful gifts to offer the world. Your people are a industrious and hard working group and can do much if the yoke of oppression from foreign drug cartels and your own corrupt government is lifted from their backs. As your neighbor the US is willing to help and guide you if you are willing to help yourself.
But in the meantime, stop blaming us for your problems.
I guess maybe we could make a big sign facing Mexico stating "No More Illegals!", although I don't think we could use actual Mexicans caught illegally in this country to make the sign like they used guns. We could also follow that up with signs proclaiming "No More Narcotics" and "No More Gangs" as well.
You know I do have one last thing to say. Lo Siento. I believe last year I posted about El Presidente speaking in front of our Congress and having the gall to use the opportunity to attack the country for this same reason. I believe I said at that time that law abiding and responsible Americans were simply not responsible for any of it. Now I stand here post "Gun Runner" hearing and realize that yes, many Americans did have a part to play in weapons being shipped to Mexico....unfortunately they were members of the very same organizations charged with preventing it. We have fixed this lapse in judgement, now its your turn.