2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Ohio Bill to declare March 30th as Vietnam Veterans Memorial Day

Story here...

I have mixed feelings about this issue as presented in the article...

On one hand I think our Vietnam Veterans are very deserving of our respect and the honors that go along with their service.  I have said on more than one occasion here that if it wasn't for the way they got the shaft after the war ended and our eventual realization as a nation that our vets deserve better that, that the veteran of today enjoys a much better level of support and appreciation.  As such, I think a day to honor them is very well appropriate indeed.

On the other hand, I think the term "Memorial Day" should be reserved for that one special day in May that we remember ALL of our war dead.  I do not see April 15th being set aside specifically to honor the dead of our Revolution, October 25th dedicated to the dead of Operation Urgent Fury and the like.  Also there is no shortage of both fixed and mobile memorials to the dead of Vietnam.  I just hate the fact that we could theoretically raise on class of fallen warrior over another.  In addition, I would not like the moniker of a specific "Memorial Day" to lessen our appreciation of the living veterans of that war....alas the differentiation between Memorial Day and Veterans Day is lost on many Americans to begin with.


So, yes, I do hope this bill passes in the Ohio Statehouse...I just hope some minor wording may be changed to reserve the use of the term "Memorial Day" for one dedicated remembrance of all of our fallen.

Your thoughts?

Back in the 80's this was one of my favorite songs growing up as I realized many of the adults among me as a teen were indeed veterans of a war I was just beginning to grasp that occurred at the beginning of my life...


No comments: