2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Monday, January 23, 2012

The iPhone...the mouse gun of the camera phones?


Don't really talk tech on this blog much, minimal at best.  Kind of surprising because I work in the IT industry, but then again this blog is mainly oriented to the 2A/Military/Gun Culture crowd and not the geek sector...although they are closer linked than some may realize.  And btw, I mean no disrespect by using "geek", I use that term to describe myself sometime.  Anyway, a recent event makes this post even more ironic that I may explain in the future, but not now and not here...

I was reading articles on Flipboard on my iPhone today and this article caught my eye...

Why the iPhone Should Have A Dedicated Shutter Button, by Matthew Panzarine, www.thenextweb.com

In the article the author articulates reasons why the next generation iPhone should have a physical shutter button for the camera feature in lieu of using a "soft button" on the touch screen or double utilizing one of the existing volume buttons on the phone.  The camera on my iPhone is one of my favorite features on it and the iPhone has replaced my normal cell phone, point and shoot camera and MP3 player all in one device.  Pretty nifty, especially since the camera in my iPhone 4 is better in terms of resolution than any previous digital camera I have owned.  Movies are also great and as you may have notices using the iMovie application (available via the Apple App store) I am actually able to make basic videos for this blog and post them directly from the phone when I need to.   Now I know a lot of you reading this use the Android platform and scoff at people who use Apple's hardware as being slaves to the Apple Machine and all of that, I get that, I really do, hey my own friends say that sometimes.  When my wife and I went to upgrade out phones last year the iPhone is just what we both liked in terms of features and appearance and has worked well for us.  So if you are an android person good for you, I am an iPhone user..good for me.

Back to the article...in it Panzarine points out that the camera is one feature that Apple is really pushing in its phone and is making big strides to have the best available on the market.  The fact that the camera is such a selling point should mean that in the iPhone 5 Apple should include a specific hard button for it, firmware to maximize performance and speed (already done for the most part in the iPhone 4S) and redesign the positioning on the lens and flash for more ergonomic pointing. While the iPhone will never be able to replace a high quality, purposely designed digital camera in terms of features or performance, he points out that "The best camera is the one that's with you.".  Gee, I have heard that before.... a lot.   But instead of cameras its usually aimed at the rational for carrying a small "mouse gun" in .380 or similar caliber in ones pocket instead of a .45 or other such similar full sized pistol as a CCW choice. (see, we're back to talking about guns now!)

Like the old saying goes "A LCP in the hand is worth two 1911's in the safe"...I may have add libbed that just a bit there...

I personally prescribe to this theory, that a gun carried and ready to be used is better than one left at home in the safe.  Yes, ideally in a perfect world I would leave the house with a 1911 or Glock strapped to me all the time.  Hell, if I KNEW I was going to be in a armed confrontation I would say screw the handgun and load up with the 870 with Winchester PDX-1 12 gauge buck-and-ball rounds or my AR.   The truth is in my world that I simply cannot carry a larger framed handgun on my easily enough at certain times to make it worth the benefit-risk evaluation.  I live in a relatively nice section of Central Ohio - by choice mind you, the old neighborhood was going down so the wife and I moved as is our ability to do so.  If I want to go to the local grocery store a few miles away to grab a gallon of milk at 11pm, statistically I am pretty sure I will not be assaulted based upon past assaults in the areas over time.  Of course we all know that just like your 401K statement, past performance does not indicate future potential.   The is a slight chance that an assault on my may occur still does exist.  The risk is so slight almost not to warrant attention, but that is how a sheeple thinks and not not a ram.  I would arm myself, but accordingly to the threat level.  In most cases this would mean sticking a small pocket pistol in .380 (most likely a LCP or P3AT) that I have trained on and utilizing good defensive ammo in.   This is especially true in the hot, humid summers we get here in Ohio where all I may have on are shorts, a t-shirt and sandals.

Back to the phone, I never would have normally put the connection between my CCW piece and my iPhone together but now that I think of it, it makes total sense.  My iPhone goes almost everywhere with my now, it even goes up to bed with me here in a bit tonight (its also my alarm clock).  I bet it is as close to me during the day as it is with a lot of people.  Think of this, next time somebody asks you why they think that it should be a PITA to get a CCW license ask them what they would think if the government all of a sudden made it a requirement to have a license to carry a smart phone...I mean as many accidents that it causes in cars it could happen, right?  Anyway, when the schmuck stammers out about their rights being violated to free speech as they see it under the 1st Amendment  or something like that...point out that its the same feeling for use that embrace the 2nd Amendment when we talk about our CCW's.  Difference is of course that smart phones are not mentioned in the original document but the right to bear arms certainly is.

Speaking of pocket pistols...went out looking for a LCP to replace the P3AT that I sold recently....couple of stories about that later...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

take a look at the LC9, I like it a lot better, just a tad bigger and shoots 9mm..

I've one and love it (got the lasermax laser for it too, first laser I've bought)

Huey said...

I have the LC9, that was part of the reason I got rid of the P3AT I had, I needed some cash for a purchase and with winter coats and all the LC9 is very easily concealed now..but I will want another pocket rocket before too long...

And I love the LC9 BTW, thought about the Kahr CM9 to but have no reason to regret my choice so far...