2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Friday, November 18, 2011

Uncle Ted chimes in (indirectly) on the CETME design..


Haven't crowed much about "The Jolly Green Giant" lately (my CETME), what used to be the belle of the ball is now just another wall flower in the safe.  I had some hopes of turning it into a .308 "battle rifle" but its quite obvious now that due to its finicky nature of operation (caused I think unfortunately by yours truly having the brass deflector affixed and the resulting warping of the receiver) in cycling and magazines that it will be yet another safe queen for the range.  Sad in quite a few ways.  Recoil was a bitch last time out but that may have been due to me experimenting with a G3 stock, the first time I shot it was with the actual CETME stock which is now back on the rifle and painted to match the rest of it.  I have given up trying to mount an optic on it and will keep it an iron sighted rifle.  Gone soon also is the huge box of G3 mags I got for it...too damn busy to figure out what will and won't work...just going to invest in some additional steel CETME mags and be done with it.  Buy some cheap and some decent ammo (to me a gun is not worth having if you don't at least have some ammo around that it can be used to defend yourself with) and have fun with it at the range.  Still I like the design and the cult like following it gets.  Apparently "Uncle Ted" Nugent does to...here he reviews the C93, the 5.56mm version of the CETME/G3 design also sold my Century Arms International.  In the vid he talks about a lot of the same features found on the CETME and really seems to enjoy the rifle...



That particular rifle, the C93, is more from the G3 lineage of the shared heritage of the CETME/G3 family...notice the rear sight drum..far superior to the flip type rear sight on the CETME.

Century Arms International (CAI) imports and produces weapons based on military surplus arms from around the globe.  They seem to have a love them / hate them type following.  My WASR-10 AK was a decent rifle once I spent some time with it and the same could be said about the CETME, although it did work right out of the box and I have taken it back again.  There workers have a reputation for being hacks but I think that is a far from accurate description of what they are capable of.  The CETME, for example, is made from some de-milled parts from working rifles - which means normally that they are cut in half.  Century puts those back together with US Code 922R compliant parts (all imported weapons must meet a certain amount of domestically installed parts in order to be sold in the US, or meet other criteria).  By and by I think CAI does a fairly decent job, though its always the buyers responsibility to inspect any firearm before they purchase it for defects as best as they can.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw you mentioned you need some cheap decent ammo. You should take a minute to browse The Sportsman's Guide and their ammo page. They have great prices on ammo especially if you buy in bulk. Thought I'd pass the tip along. Let me know how it works out for ya!

Huey said...

that almost seems like a bot posting there...but since I have bought stuff through The Sportsmans Guide I will let it stand...

Anonymous said...

Sorry if it came off like an ad, I always like to recommend TSG when I find enthusiasts who are looking supplies.

Huey said...

no prob...I understand completely...same here when it comes to Slipstream lube...