2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Alibi fires..

Alibi fires...you know, when your shot doesn't go where its supposed to because of "something else" and you discard it to do over on the next shot?  When I would qualify with the M16 in the service they would always call for alibi fires after each stage of qualification so folks that had "technical difficulties" could shoot again.  On one hand it made sense to allow each shooter to fully demonstrate their skill with a "perfect" shooting scenario, on the other hand it really wasn't realistic now, was it.  In the middle of a firefight I doubt you could just shout out to a talibastard "awgaf!! awgaf!!"  (Stop!! stop!!) just because your weapon jammed and try again.  To tell you the truth I never do remember seeing many people take advantage of them in line infantry and other combat arms types, it was mainly in my days as a REMF that I saw people shoot them.  Probably folks that forgot how to release the bolt or something on a mag change and missed a few targets...wankers.  If you don't know how to use and maintain the weapon you're issued you are really more of a liability than an asset to your fellow soldiers...just check out this Private Snafu cartoon that was produced for the troops in WW2 (bunch of this stuff on YouTube...made and voiced by Mel Blanc of Bugs Bunny fame)



Anyway, we have all had alibis on the range..."The sun was in my eyes"..."this ammo sucks"....."wind must have caused that doe to get my scent and she jumped at the last minute"...that type of stuff.  In Appleseed they taught us to "call our shot" and predict where the round would go at the moment of hammer release so if your sight were off and you called a bad shot that was a "good thing" so you could make good on the next shot.   I guess that does make sense, better to know that its you thats broken than blame it on the weapon...something about a bad painter blaming his brushes comes to mind here...

When talking about Appleseed I use alibis a lot.  First time out I overestimated the ability of my eyes to focus on small targets, second time out my equipment was not properly adjusted.   I realize that neither of these are real alibis or excuses...its each shooters responsibility to know his skills and equipment and apply them to the shot...and also to know what they CAN'T shoot as much as what they can!  As Dirty Harry said "A Man's got to know his limitations" (Magnum Force, 1973).

I forget if I posted this before but just in case here it goes again.  Below is one of my alibis.  This is a target I shot with either my G19 or LC9 when I had a case of tendonitis flare up earlier this year. My first and last shot groups are noted on the target.  I shot it at about 7 yards and the shots go left to right, top to bottom.  Notice how each group got progressively worse, commensurate with the amount of pain and weakness I was experiencing in my arm and wrist at the time.  By the time I got to the last target I knew it was time to put the pistol away and call it a day.  Better not to shoot than be a hazard to myself or others. 


So whats the point of all of this?  Simple, I have been on ranges before and just left because I have seen such blatant safety violations that I did not feel safe.  If you are trying to sight a rifle in at 25or 50 yards and can't find your rounds on the paper or even see any impacts around the target when you shoot...STOP SHOOTING!  Rifle rounds travel quite a bit...much farther than people think.  Even a .22 will go over a mile. One of the cardinal rules of shooting is to confirm your target and what is behind it. If you cant tell where your rounds are going don't keep shooting because "you know what you're doing and the gun must be broke"...guess what? continuing to shoot it probably won't fix whatever is "broken", and what that is is probably the shooter to begin with!!  Know your weapon and know yourself folks.  

The Marines have a rifleman's creed...it kicks some ass...we should all strive to learn it and live it (and our rifles) in order to regain our heritage as a nation of riflemen.

This is my rifle.  There are many like it, but this one is mine.  It is my life.  I must master it as I must master my life.  Without me my rifle is useless.  Without my rifle, I am useless.        I must fire my rifle true.  I must shoot straighter than the enemy who is trying to kill me.  I must shoot him before he shoots me.  I will.  My rifle and I know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, or the smoke we make.  We know that it is the hits that count.  We will hit.

      My rifle is human, even as I am human, because it is my life.  Thus, I will learn it as a brother.  I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel.  I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready.  We will become part of each other. 

      Before God I swear this creed.  My rifle and I are the defenders of my country.  We are the masters of our enemy.  We are the saviors of my life. 

      So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy.

So there you go folks...no more alibis.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I was in the Army, Alibi Fire at the range was for anyone who did not empty their clip while qualifying. Any leftover rounds were "Alibi Fire" and shot down range After the time limit to empty the weapon of live rounds, any targets hit did not count towards qualification.