2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Posse shoot Fall 2011

Had the semi-annual gathering of graying shooters and young bucks this past Thursday and Friday.  A good deal of shooting not only the targets but also the bull was accomplished.  Did not take quite as many pics this past shoot as last time, but got a few vids and some pics up in a YouTube video I put on FaceBook early this morning...



As for my experience with my boom sticks this time round...

CETME:  Bummed, although I got 90% of the inadvertent kinks out of it after getting it hosed adding the brass deflector, it still is not where I want it to be.  The entire cycling is very touchy when loading and working by hand that you absolutely cannot ride the bolt forward even the tiniest bit.  Also, its very touchy with mags.   I got a couple of the G3's to work and labeled them.  If the weather would have been more accommodating I would have gone through most of them and picked out the good ones.  As it was, I am glad to just have the 2, thats 2 more than I had when I started.  I did not get to check accuracy that much but it seems to put them in the same place every time.  Also, recoil was a bitch, harsher than I remember it being last time I shot it, due to the welding incident, I don't know.

AR: Ran like a charm, did some controlled pair training with myself and my friend Kurt on it and it went pretty well.  I set two "zombie" reactive targets up at 25 yards and the size of the target made them appear to be about 50 - 75 yards away.  Stand in a ready position and have someone else tell you "right" or "left" and you engage that target with 2 quick controlled shots, acquiring the target each time you pull the trigger.  Fairly easy to do with a red dot or holo sight  (Like my EOTech).  I think the Slipstream ST-1 treatment is paying off. 

M-1 Garand: Did not shoot it as much as last time, which was all well with me.  Still cool to have out and show folks and to get that "ping!" at the end of the clip.

Regent R-100 1911:  This thing just eats about any type of ammo, brass, steel, HP, FMJ...it just shoots.  My friend Mark (who is big into 1911's and has some really nice ones) was impressed by it for the price, which says a lot.  If I concentrate I can tell that the barrel is capable of some good accuracy, but the minimal sights on it give it that good od' GI 1911 "minute of barn door" accuracy.  Going to take it to a smith to have a beavertail hammer, sear, and commander style hammer installed (pistol is still causing a red welt in the webbing of my hand) as well as have a wider rear sight installed. 

Glock 19 Gen3: Nothing to report, ran like a champ of course and the XS big dot put them where I wanted them.

S&W 22A: I have not written about this pistol much.  I got it a couple of years ago, its a .22 target/plinking pistol that I have used to shoot steel a bit with.  It is outstanding.  While not as nearly popular as the Ruger Mark II or III, its still a fine target gun.  When I do my part I can shoot with holes touching on the target with this gun.  Very happy with it.

Ruger LC9:  Biggest happy moment of the day.  I almost didn't shoot it but brought it out at the end just to run rounds through it as it is one of my carry weapons.  Simply put, there were amazing feats of marksmanship and accuracy displayed on Friday with it.  I know, I can't believe it either.  I think I had an epiphany of sorts when I stopped trying to stage the trigger before the break in it and just pulled right throug it.  We had a few spinner type targets out at about 10 yards and some orange shooting clays as well just sat out amongst them.  I was hitting those small targets 7 or 8 times out of 10 with those small sights on it by just simply giving it a good stance and trigger pull.  I was very happy.  Been carrying it everyday since, except for Sunday when I was out with the family for a bit.

My Coleman Tent: Bought for backyard sleepovers for my daughter, it had its first "real" night set up in the woods and did admirably, or so I am told.  The "Marks' were not only nice enough to set it up for me but also "break it in as well" LOL!

Once again it was a great time to get together with some of my fellow Americans and veterans and exercise that 2nd Amendment right we are all so endeared to have given to us by our founders!

No comments: