2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Monday, August 22, 2011

Steel Plates…if you can’t beat ‘em, shoot ‘em!

Got in a round of steel plates on Saturday with some shooting friends.  It was a hot one and I was glad the course of fire at this club has been cut down to 4 stages instead of 5 to get out of their sooner and back into my air conditioned truck.  Hey, spent enough hot days in the sun, sand and woods with a gun in my hand, I am entitled to take it easy I think!

First off, .22 seems to be the hot item, or at least more so that I remember it being.  Seeing a lot of people plinking with .22 at the match where when I started there would be but a few.  Maybe ammo prices have a lot to do with it, but also controllability probably comes into play as well.  I brought my S&W 22A .22 with me for my friend Kurt to use for his first time.  It worked flawlessly and I may just start using that as I shot one stage with it and it was FUN!

The stages were tough this time around and we were joking that it sounded like we were ordering some dish at a Chinese restaurant as everyone was going “Pow-Pow-Ping”  (two misses and then a hit!).   I was pretty rusty and only really had a few really decent runs the entire day.  That’s what happens when you don’t practice I guess.

Need to make a special note about Eric, the guy who started this all.  He is a friend of my former boss who I met via FaceBook, he got me out.  I got my friend Kevin out and now another friend Kurt.  Meanwhile, Eric got another Friend, who in turn brought his brother and another 2 guys with him.  Eric also brought his 2 sons and another friend as well.  In case you lost count in all of that, Eric was responsible, directly or indirectly, for 10 people coming to steel.  That is awesome.  That is the type of grass roots type activities that the shooting sports need to get the info out the guns are not just about violence and death, but they can be a enjoyable form of competition as well.  That is the type of knowledge that we need to keep our 2A rights maintained.  Eric is now “MR. STEEL” in my book.

IMG_0518

Kurt and I chillin’ on a hot day..

IMG_0520

Eric and his merry men….

IMG_0521

This was a cool little device one of the shooters had (sorry buddy, forgot your name) that loads Ruger .22 mags like magic…

IMG_0530

Eric and Kev got to run the show for a bit…why so serious Kev?

 

2 comments:

cmhjeepster said...

Hey, as I live in Columbus too, and now the BigDarbyCreek shooting range is closed, where do you go to shoot? I've been to the ODNR ranges, and well, you know.. just wondering...

John

Huey said...

The steel plate stuff is shot down in Circleville...

For most pistol shooting and practice I go to the Powder Room in Powell because its the closest and then the state range and Blackwing in that order. I shoot clays at Blackwing and generally save the rifle shooting for the state range or when I go with "the posse" to Zanesville Rifle club a couple of times a year