OK, wife and I watched the Glades from last night on our DVR again. This was a good episode but really targeted guns this time as the main subject…even if it depicted a bunch of folks buying and selling guns illegally as the bad guys. The story revolved around a popular teacher who is accidentally shot and killed by a troubled kid who brought a gun to school to scare bullies and the resulting chum line to the illegal gun runners that got the gun into his hands. The chain included the shooters cousin (who at 21 had bought a hundred weapons with cash, but was on the ATF watch list), a store keeper who looked the other way why selling multiple guns to this guy to keep his store going, a “flea market gun seller” who bought and sold stolen guns to ultimately the evidence room clerk in his own station who was selling evidence firearms back on the streets. Very cunning plot line indeed….hmmmm, not.. Really, take every bad stereotype Hollywood would like to have you believe about how guns are sold and put it all in one wrapper and there you go..
OK, here we go with this weeks list of gun related fails…in no particular order…
- Carlos, the resident Chief Medial Examiner and apparent FDLE crime scene investigator as well recovered a “slug and shell casing” at the scene which proved the weapon used was a .38. You could maybe give this a pass if somehow you could believe someone in Hollywood actually knew about a .38 Super and it being shot from a semi auto…but no, you guessed it, the pistol in question turned out to be a revolver. Guess the killer shot it, opened the cylinder and tossed the empty case on the ground. Of course this is the same Carlos that dug a perfectly formed and clean 9mm out of the head of some guy during a hurricane and season 1 also…
- Much later in the show Carlos claims that hydrochloric acid can reveal serial numbers filed off of a weapn…really? How does that happen if I totally remove all traces of material that were etched on in the first place?
- The derogatory use of the term “semi automatic” in regards to weapons during the show….last time I checked they were legal. I guess just using the term “automatic” in “semi-automatic” means “machine gun” in the show’s writer’s lexicon..
- One guy is shot in the chest at about 6 feet with a .45 and not can speak without any seemingly discomfort but also continues to do so in the next scene on a ambulance gurney… Apparently Jim shot around his vital organs so he wouldn’t have to live with killing him…his words folks..
- After busting a illegal gun smuggling location (where all the guns were conveniently laying around in crates with the tops taken off) the head boss lady (STILL don’t know her name) goes off about HK416’s (which aren’t even available in semi configuration for purchase yet) that have been on the street for 3 years(?!?) and Browning Citori shotguns which biker gangs give to new members. Biker gangs? Why give a $1500 O/U shotty to a biker when for 1/2 of the cost you can give him a fully pimpled out Remington 870 in riot configuration?
- Jim shakes down the shady store owner and shoos away a customer looking at an AK after ripping the weapon out of his hands and threatening him…really? Does “police harassment” mean nothing to the writers. Of course the customer was portrayed as a big muscular looking thug that we are supposed to ask ourselves why anyone that size would need a gun and wonder if he was legally able to buy one to begin with.
- And best of all, during a gun battle with the flea market dealer who also had the big gun cache, Jim is going against this guy with his 1911 and the guy has a HK91 looking rifle, maybe a CETME. Either way, Jim checks his magazine then checks his chamber and utters something like “last round…” First off, do all FDLE officers routinely go on duty with only the magazine in their weapon and no spares on them? Hell, I normally carry at least one on my when I carry. Secondly….and this is hilarious…when he checks the chamber the round is sitting on TOP OF THE MAGAZINE HE JUST EJECTED like it had just been inserted on a locked back slide….not in the chamber where a semi-auto (oops there is that evil word again) would have put it. But it gets much better, THE ROUND HAS NO BULLET IN THE CASE AND IS OBVIOSLY AN EMPTY OR A BLANK PUT THERE BY THE PROP MASTER !!!! No shit, I actually rewound the show a bit and showed it to my wife who also agreed there was no round there.
You know, if the show continues aiming at guns in it story lines, well, lets just say there are other shows to watch. That and the entire romance thing is just stupid at this point….
Damn, I always knew something was up with Kev, first he showed up with that motorcycle and then he pulled out his Citori…damn, I have been hanging out with a outlaw biker all this time….