2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Friday, July 22, 2011

Traffic stop goes very wrong for Canton, OH CHL holder…

This video is making the rounds on the gun forums…this incident happened June 8 in Canton, Ohio, about an hour and a half away from me. 

Bad stuff….

I am not going to try and say that I know the entire story.  To me the driver’s story seems a little weak, but he also was very mistreated in my book in this incident.  I think the driver should have been a bit more assertive about his CCW permit and tried to get an officer’s attention to the fact despite the warnings to stay quiet.  I am not a cop, but the video points out some very obvious tactical errors these officers made when dealing with this guy and then the one officer goes totally off on him, possibly to cover up his frustration with himself.

  • He threatens the driver several times….physically and verbally.
  • He states he will take future retributive action against him (pulling him over whenever he sees him)
  • He states that he should have shot him.
  • He insults the driver verbally.

It seems to me that this officer is way stressed out in this situation and did not handle it well.  Many officers are stressed I am sure.  I mean if you had to walk down the dark alleys normal people avoid and deal with bad people you might be to.  Canton is not exactly a garden spot of Ohio.  If you read this blog you know that I am a supporter of LEO’s, but in this case the officer, IMHO, went way over the line.  Police officers are supposed to be professionals and show restraint under pressure, or at lest that is what I always believe.   This officer seems to have chosen a different path.  It looks like he tries to regain composure a couple of times but then goes off on the driver again.  Just like when soldiers do the wrong thing, police officers need to be disciplined as well for going over that line.

Last word I have seen is that the city offered to drop charges in exchange for being held without fault for the incident.  I believe a lawsuit is in the works.

More info here:  http://www.ohioccw.org/201107214955/cantonpd.html

No comments: