OK watching last nights episode of The Glades that the wife and I recorded on the DVR and didn’t even get to the opening credits without getting to a gun reference that put me off…..hey still love the show but….
OK, here is the set up…a doctor dies in a strip club, Jim finds a set of car keys and goes to look in the guy’s trunk and finds a Glock in the guys luggage along with a lot of cash. Jim takes the Glock (G17?) and without dropping the mag he pulls the slide back and SNIFFS the open chamber and remarks “this is brand new”. He then hands the now possibly loaded gun to Carlos (the Coroner) who remarks “why does a doctor need a gun?”. After the credits Jim is explaining the situation with his supervisor (don’t know her name on the show, sorry) and says, regarding the Glock, (sic) “the Glock was new, never fired”.
- First off, Jim should know…especially being from Illinois, that all Glocks are test fired at the factory and a shell casing included in the shipping container for those state that require it for registration and what have you.
- What is Jim, a bloodhound? I can certainly tell by smell after a gun has been fired to a degree, but to tell a new gun from a cleaned gun I don’t know. I used to know someone who would turn weapons away from our arms room after cleaning because he could smell carbon on the bolts. Weapons operate at very high pressures and temperature where carbon is involved and it is practically impossible to remove it by normal cleaning methods. But hey, its Jim Longworth!!!
- Carlos…why shouldn’t a doctor own a gun? I forgot the part of the 2nd Amendment that excludes the medical profession.
- There was also something said about it not being registered…I Googled it…there is no firearm registration in Florida…hell, this is the state that has the no duty to retreat policy…
- Last time I looked I thought Jim carried a S&W 4506….it looks like he has a SIG P220 now….I could be wrong though….
Love the show still, the firearm mistakes are more humorous than anything to me, it just makes some good blog fodder….
And for God’s sake Jim…get with Callie for good dammit!