2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Fathers Day to a father I never knew…

259320_10150232830037164_744217163_7174940_6652981_o

My Dad, veteran U.S. Army, Reserve

Happy Fathers Day Dad, glad I have had my entire life to get to know you as we both have grown.  Some times I stand in awe of you, some times I just stand and shake my head.  Always I love you.  I am luckier than some, including my wife.

Some 21 years ago my Father-in-Law Glen Lyons passed away.  This was many years before my wife and I even met. Today would not only of been Fathers Day but also his 70th birthday.  While digging through some stuff in the basement I came across one of his old Army fatigue shirts that the wife has kept of his after all these years.  The kid just had to try it on….

moniglen 

I never got a chance to meet or know Glen but I like to think that he and I would have hit it off.  Seeing my daughter in his uniform kind of cements a bond there between me and him.  RIP Glen Lyons, sorry we missed each other this time around..

And on a side note, in the age of digital camo and such can you even fathom that fact that the Army once thought that full color nametapes, patches and white t-shirts were a field uniform?!?!

No comments: