2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Weapons retention in a self defense gunfight…need some advice.

gunretention

Many self defense and gun related blogs spend an inordinate amount of time discussing the draw of a defensive handgun against an assailant and engagement of said target as if it was a one dimensional task.  I am as guilty as anyone in this regard.  I believe I have stated before that most self defense shootings are up close, violent and quick.  The reasons for this are simple..

  • The attacker needs to be close enough to his victim to retrieve whatever item of value he normally is seeking..
  • If the engagement escalates to violence, both sides will usually employ there most violent form of attack to facilitate a quick resolution which leads to…
  • A quick resolution is normally the desired outcome by the attacker to not only limit the amount of time the victim has to gain information about them but also lessens there chance of being discovered in the act..

As myself, and many of you, often carry a weapon for self defense on us..have you ever considered what you would do if you do not get a clean shot at drawing and engaging your attacker as we often see demonstrated on the internet or in training classes.  What it you get surprised by an attacker who gets within your “safe zone” without notice and is able to grab for your weapon before you can employ it?  Then what?  The answer lies in techniques broadly titled “weapons retention drills”.  These drills and techniques are normally taught to some degree to law enforcement and security personnel who normally carry openly in their daily duties and are often in close contact with criminals due to these occupations.  To keep from being shot by your own weapon is a pretty good goal in this career choice.  As a CCW holder my weapon does not normally ride out on the side of my body in an open holster in plain view, so the issue with someone on the street randomly making an outright grab for it is not as great as with a LEO, but it is still a concern.  I have seen some mention in other gun and 2A type blogs but have never really had any training on it myself. 

Just out of curiosity I started searching YouTube for some videos about it and came across various vids depicting all types of techniques mainly being hacked by “security experts” or “martial artists”..not that I can critique any of them really since I am neither myself nor have I had any training in any such technique relating to weapon retention.  Below is one such video..I am not endorsing this technique, this just happened to be one of the short videos available to post (although it does seem pretty simple to learn)..

So my question is this, does anybody know of a solid, basic set of techniques that a “layman” could pick up to use to defend against an attacker gaining control of his sidearm?  If I could get some creditably feedback with hopefully some experience I would not rule out spending some hard earned $$ on material or training to learn it.  Thanks in advance for anything any of you may be able to offer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If someone just grabbed for your gun, why would you go to a baton afterward? If someone grabs for my gun and i get tehm off of me teh next thinig they will be looking at is the barerel of my firearm.