2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving…

I love Thanksgiving…I think I always have.  Maybe its because it brings back memories of family members now gone, lazy afternoons spent content with a full belly watching movies on TV with my loved ones.  Maybe its because as I grew older it was an excuse to go home and seem Mom and Dad from whatever situation I may have been in.  Hell, maybe because I just love turkey!  Did you know Benjamin Franklin once sought to make the turkey our national bird do to its importance as a food source and indigenous roots in this country!  Could you imaging what if we ate bald eagle for Thanksgiving?!?!  I gained a newfound love of the holiday while stationed over in Kuwait in 2006 when I saw how our tradition transcended cultural and political borders as many of the TCN (third country nationals – foreign labor) personnel also enjoyed the holiday and expressed their thanks to their own deities for the opportunity to be able to have a job serving me!! No kidding, that is what one of them told me outside the DFAC!  Wow, that really puts things in perspective as to how lucky I was to be born in the US!

Thanksgiving

Me in the Camp Arifjan Zone VI DFAC on Thanksgiving 2006

turkey3When you don’t have a family with you, you make one with the people you have..wait they are my family, my brothers in arms….

(top left to right) Cohen, Bengal, Me, Roberts, Martin

(Kneeling left to right) Goetke, Hickey

I have many things to be thankful for on this day…

  • Above all else my family, especially my wife and child…
  • The freedoms I enjoy as an American citizen…
  • The fact that there are other citizens that are still willing to step us and write a blank check to Uncle Sam and serve in our Armed Forces to continue the long tradition I once proudly tried to maintain of selfless service and to preserve our freedoms..
  • All of those service members and their families that have paid the ultimate sacrifice in both war and peace in the continuation of this tradition…
  • The fact that my Constitution recognizes my right to protect myself, my family and our liberties by allowing me to own and possess firearms and that there are still people out there willing to fight for this right….

On Veterans Day I went and had my free lunch at Applebees (they rock) with some friends from deployment.  Afterwards my friend Joshua and I went to The Powder Room to take out some paper targets in celebration of the day.  While there we met another guy shooting that I will just call “A” for now.  “A” was a former Marine from a South American Country.  I knew that gun ownership is a totally different proposition down there.  I had thought I read somewhere that .380 ACP was the largest caliber people were allowed to own for self defense down there.  I was shocked to find out from “A” that in his country it was totally illegal to own any type of firearm.  Wow, how lucky am I to live here!!  His is not a singular tale of this story that I have personally experienced.  We have a large Honda manufacturing plant west of Columbus that brings in many Japanese families to the US for periods of time as they spend their developmental tours with Honda here in the states before headed back to Japan.  On more than one occasion I have seen groups of Japanese at the range shooting…something that is largely taboo in their culture.  Again, the Second Amendment is something that we should always be grateful for.  

DSCF1600

Joshua (on the right) and “A” after we got done shooting.  You never know who you may meet

on a range but in my experience 99% of them are worth meeting.

No comments: