2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Monday, October 4, 2010

More history behind Adams Holsters.

I have previously posted about how much I like my “Texas” IWB holster from Adams Holsters hand made by Luke Adams.

Today on a forum his sponsors I posted the following:

“just felt like I should comment about how please I am with my Texas holster for my G19 and how it seems to keep getting better as the leather breaks in through wear.  The pistol seems to have shaped better to the leather just by wearing it next to me constantly over the last month or so as well as softened up where it rubs against me.  None of my previous leather holsters (mostly by Galco) seemed to have worn in like this. Whats the secret Luke?”

And boy did I get a response…

“Well I'd love to think it's some kind of genius on my part but I'm humble enough to think that I'm lucky:) I think it's allot of little things that make the rig work as well as they do one of the biggest things though in my opinion is the leather. When I first started making my own holsters as a hobby I used cheap Mexican leather that I actually got over the border at a leather shop when we lived right next to the border a couple years back. It wasn't thick enough, it didn't work well and generally frustrated me but the holsters it made worked as good or better than most anything I tried. They were crude and generally not very good, didn't look very good but they did function. Design at that stage was a cross between a Summer Special style of rig and a cheap uncle mikes IWB but boned from leather. I actually still have 3 of those original holsters sitting in a drawer of the motorhome, haven't used them in well over a year but I can look at them and see how far it's come. Anyways from that cheapo leather I learned allot of how not to build a good rig, and ran out of leather so I went to Tandy leather and got a single shoulder to continue making holsters with. What I realized was that this new leather was much better, and more stiff than the stuff I had been using, overnight my holsters improved significantly. Really it was a huge night and day difference, still not nearly what they are now but at the time I was astonished how much better leather made the end results so much better.


At that point I started playing with 2 clip designs, I realized there had to be some reason that so many guys liked holsters like the SuperTuck and the Sparks VM2's and allot of other rigs. So as I looked at things that I liked and didn't like I started getting basically features that I thought would make a rig that would work well for me. This was still a while before I decided to even sell holsters, this was me playing around for fun, still doing computer work and a bit of college, not ever planning a career of sorts in leatherwork. Anyhow I found that IWB was terrible for me with most of the rigs I had tried and attempted to find the combination of things that made it not uncomfortable. One of the things I liked about the SuperTuck/Answer/Mtac holsters was the flat leather backing. Much like a paddle holster it allowed the contours of the gun to be spread across the body and hip more comfortably. It's much like would you rather lay on the flat ground or a pile of rocks, for me it's the flat ground:) So that's where the design in the back came from.
The wide clips were the only was I could carry a government 1911 without it dragging my pants down, and applying a ton of pressure to my hip, so it got wide double attachments. I've brought the leather up on both clips to tighter to the body to give more adjust-ability. Overall there have been allot of changes in the rigs from the start. Same goes for the rest of the design and one day I built the first Texas holster but at the time it didn't have a name;) Actually I built it and started wearing it from day one and it was dang comfortable compared to anything else I tried. I used it for a while and liked it, got some ideas and made some changes.


Then when I was running out of leather from Tandy I decided to start researching leather and brands and what everyone liked. I started seeing a trend from nearly all the companies that built industry leading custom gear. Hermann Oak leather, one of two tannerys left in the US. Known to allot of leather workers as the last place to get real holster leather. Wickett and Craig is another place but many people have said their leather is too soft and pliable, too easy to mold. Hermann Oak is a pain in the butt to use compared to Wickett and Craig from what I've heard(I've never bought Wickett and Craig but I've used a bunch of Hermann Oak at this point). There are some guys who won't use Hermann Oak because they can't cut it with allot of knives;) It's a good leather in my opinion, but it's allot of work and requires a bit of thinking to build certain designs and rigs out of it. Sometimes it requires a bit of out of the box thinking but I think at the end of the day it's the best leather for the purpose. So I bought my first entire side of leather, half a cow. That first rig I built out of the new leather was an eye opener. Better than anything up to that point. Another huge jump in quality and finish. So at that point I decided that given the chance to get a better base product for the holsters would always be done. In other words if I could find a way to do it better in any way, I would do it. No compromise on features or comfort for the sake of price or materials.

 
This actually brought up a problem though:) My wife was looking at my hobby taking more and more money, at this point between tools and leather I had probably put somewhere between $500-1000 into this. I could have had allot of nice rigs for that:) But she was trying to cut my leather hobby budget so I decided I'd have to sell some holsters to pay for the hobby. I sent out a couple testing rigs to guys I trusted their opinions to see how they worked for them. So far I had only seen these and used them, they worked great for me, but I was afraid that I stumbled on a combination of features while great for me wouldn't work for others. Everyone of them came back with something much like Bud said, it was great and I wasn't getting the holster back. How much did I want for it;) So that's where it started. One day when I was cutting out a 1911 holster I realized the back of the rig was shaped kinda like the state of Texas. Since I still didn't have a name for the holster I started calling it the "Texas" holster. It stuck. Adams Holsters, came about because if I were starting a business I wanted it to be something family oriented because family is important. I figured "Lukes holsters" or something sounds weird if it ever grew larger than a one man shop. So figuring that no one but family would be working for me(pending it ever grows that big even) it became Adams Holsters.
Honestly not too many months after that I met you guys on the forums here and started sponsoring WTA, and from there you guys have pretty much been in the loop as to whats going on Grin


So what's the secret? Honestly not sure, mix of the right features, the right materials and allot of time. It probably doesn't hurt that I couldn't comfortably carry before I built my own holsters to do what I wanted, so a little bit of me being PO'd enough to make a rig that worked for me:)”

If you remember I talked about the personal service that you get when you purchase his products, this is just another example of how well he communicates with his “user community”.  Definitely going to but a second now..

P1070475 me want….

No comments: