2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Shot some steel plates today....

Haven't headed South to Circleville to shoot steel plates in a bit so Kev and I made the trip and did just that. I did just OK, struggled with the course which had smaller targets that were farther away than I remember them. A lot of 2 and 3 round strings to get one 6" plate at 10 yards and such. Still I had fun and learned a few things. Some people shoot their runs and sit down and let the rest of us police brass, paint targets and score the match. Not me, I like to think I learn something about the sport by being as close to the firing line as I can and observing the "old timers" that have been doing this stuff for years. Even got to fire a S&W 4506 (which I had an opportunity to buy for a steal a while back but declined - bad choice) from one of them, shot like a dream with .45 ACP.

One thing I learned personally is that I need to work on the draw and presentation of my firearm, transitioning targets and to get rid of the stock Glock sights for something better, maybe a Heine 8-ball arrangement. The "Cup and Ball" thing is just not working for me in speed aquistion type shooting.

I did turn out to be a splatter magnet though as a result of being up there constantly. I got hit by at least 5 pieces of splatter (more correctly it is called "spall") from rounds impacting the steel and either sending bits of the round or the target back at the line. Hell, the last time I was in the "safe area" clearing the range and a piece from across the road ricocheted all the way over there and landed in front of me.

All in all, a good time and I got some more trigger time in which is always good. A bad day shooting is usually better than a good day of work..
.

Just hanging out...they guy behind me has a Kimber .22 conversion kit for his Kimber, might need to try one of those out...

3 comments:

Kevin Delaney said...

Id like to meet this "Ken" guy. he sounds really cool!

Huey148 said...

corrected....

Huey148 said...

Got the match results yesterday, I finished 12th out of 28 runs (including refires)...not bad but need to get better...