For example in the world I am crafting here are some vamp facts that I have based them around:
- Vamps do not necessarily fear sunlight, they are photosensitive and will sunburn badly and have trouble seeing in it, but they do not burst into flames or smoke.
- Vamps do not have fangs, their desire for blood is due to certain biological requirements but can be satisfied by eating raw or undercooked meat in the right portions.
- Vamps do not live forever, although due to their biology live much longer than humans (in the story the oldest vamp is about 150 years old and appears middle age.
- Vampirism is an infection that affects the metabolism enabling vamps to heal and acquire much denser muscle tissue over time, thus giving them enhanced physical abilities but no "super" powers as it would be. One character, "Billy" an old Seminole vamp is described as being able to match any record bench press yet still run a 100 yards in 10 seconds..
- Vamps can be killed the same as you or me or by withholding blood, the only difference is they would have a much better chance of surviving a wound that may be mortally wounding to us if not fatal right away (in the story the "senior" vamp carries several scars from WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam and The Beirut Bombings badges of honor as an American).
- Vamps live by their own moral code under our laws, much like some bikers or other sectors of society. They value secrecy not because they want to, but because they know if discovered the government would kill them. They do commit some fraud to hide their amassed wealth, but give very liberally to charities for children, which most adore since they are unable to reproduce.
I'm writing this a bit out of desire to create, a bit out of boredom and a bit because my wife is encouraging me to do it. What started out as a collection of thoughts on paper is now up to 5 chapters and growing. Man, writing is harder than you would think. Research, editing, formatting...it all adds up.
As soon as I have it ready I will host it online for free for all to read.