2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Friday, July 9, 2010

The zombies are comming...

RUN AWAY!!!!!!



Actually, no, they're not coming...still a cool video. It was a trailer for the video game S.T.A.L.K.E.R. which takes place around the radioactive ruins of the Chernobyl nuclear plant in the former Soviet Union. Speaking of which, I guess we can start fearing and loathing the Russians again now that this spy ring thing is all in the open...thank God, Tom Clancy now has his bread & butter back.

Anyway, I've touched on before about the zombie craze and wanted to point out a couple of books that I have recently come across. For zombie die hards these will stand out to you like sore thumbs, but for the general public they are worth noting if zombie fiction even mildly interests you. They are both by author Max Brooks who is seemingly doing quite well for himself right now writing about the undead.


The first is the aptly named The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection From the Living Dead. It is written in the same manner as many of the military survival manuals that I have read in the past. It sets the ground rules that his following books will follow as to the manner of the zombies encountered, tactics in dealing with them and the like. Pretty good idea there. I am about halfway through it right now and while it is a bit of a dry read (it is a manual after all) the subject matter makes it fairly enjoyable. It also helps that I know where this info leads in his next book...


The survival guide lays the footwork for his next book World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie Wars in which the author takes the position of a UN researcher that interviews and records several eye witnesses to the zombie apocalypse that nearly wipes out the human race. I have not read this book yet but am going to buy it to take in on my vacation which starts next week. I have read reviews and it is considered an excellent read by most and is even in the development phase for a major motion picture release.

The premise of the war against the zombies reminds me again of the excellent film Fido that I previously talked about where the chief of security for the Zomcom Corporation was a hero of the "zombie wars"..good flick, go check it out if you haven't already..

3 comments:

maskedhobo said...

World War Z is a great read, I also would get a hold of the audio version because the voice over work is amazing. It has the like of Mark Hamill and Henry Rollins. Mark Hamill's performance is amazing, it's very gritty. If you have heard any of his work for animation, then you know how good it is.

Anonymous said...

If you want to read a great read about guys who hunt the things that go bump in the night, here is the book for you "Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia" The author obviously has spent some time around guns and as a member of the gun culture I can say that it was pure pleasure to read. The first paragraph starts something like, "Today I got to live every Americans dream. I threw my boss out of a six story window" I can't make an exact quote because I had to loan out the book FOR THE TWELFTH TIME!!

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Hunter-International-Larry-Correia/dp/1439132852

Huey148 said...

Hey, thanks for the MHI suggestion, I already have that one behind me and it was a great read! Larry is a frequent commentor on the We The Armed forum I am on a lot and is a super nice guy. His follow up should be in stores this fall but if you can't wait you can get your fix by reading the first 4 chapters available here http://www.webscription.net/chapters/A1439133913/A1439133913.htm

And btw, World War Z was an awesome read, couldn't put it down over vacation, read it in a week....Brad Pitt (no relation to Owen Z. Pitt) is scheduled to star and produce in a full fledged film version of WWZ....cool!