2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Thursday, March 25, 2010

RIP Agent Bill Maxwell (aka Robert Culp)

Robert Culp died yesterday at age 79 while taking a walk. The actor was probably best known for his role in I Spy with a young Bill Cosby but I will always remember him for his role as FBI agent Bill Maxwell in The Greatest American Hero on TV back in the early 80's. His character was paired with a school teacher named Ralph who was given a super hero suit by aliens (but loses the instruction manual leading to an running gag of him having to learn how to use the suits various powers by trial and error) and charged with saving the world. Where the character of Ralph is portrayed as being very liberal, Bill Maxwell was shown to be very conservative and right wing. Obviously this show was meant as a metaphor of how our country should reunite after the divisiveness of the 70's and the end of Vietnam, Watergate and the like behind us..

Anyway the thing I remember most about Culp's character on the show was his very prominent use of 1911 .45 pistols, in the opening scene his credit shot uses him in a sitting position busting caps at an off screen target with a 1911. I remember that being maybe the first time I ever noticed a slide recoiling on a semi-auto pistol, funny to remember that. His wasn't the first introduction to the 1911 in my youth via TV (old movies and Magnum P.I. being in the forefront of my memory) but it was part of a lasting impression of fondness that I have for that pistol.

Culp busts caps with the .45 at about 0:44 in the clip..

James over at Hellinahandbasket is also remembering Culp today and poses a challenge to name any of the weapons Culp holds in various promotional stills from I Spy.

And while I am on the subject of 1911's, I hear the USMC is ordering more of the M45 (formerly the MEU-SOC (Marine Expeditionary Unit - Special Operations Capable) pistol) 1911 pattern pistol for troops overseas. I guess a pistol design of over 100 years can hold its own these days...or maybe just .45 is massively awesome for combat use...anyone in the Army listening....

No comments: