2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

GLOCK 23 Gen 3 RTF2

Pretty, isn’t it?

Well, as you got from the last post I got rid of my S&W M&P40c as my “heavy” CCW piece and picked up a Glock 23 with the RTF2 grip on it to replace it. Again, nothing against the Smith & Wesson, it was just that I am beginning to become a real Glock kind of guy and wanted to keep the same pattern of handgun for most of my activities. I have previously posted my favorable thoughts on the Glock series of pistols and there simple ruggedness has convinced me to “drink the cool aid” and become a Glock fanboy I guess. There are more than enough reviews on the G23 out there and needless to say it, along with the G19 compact 9mm, are probably the two most popular Glocks in the hands of private users (I believe the G22 is actually more widely used due to LEO procurement). I will only give a few brief impressions of this pistol and let you have the obligatory pics that I post for every weapons post.

First though, some general spec type info about the G23.

Model Glock 23 Gen3 RTF2
Caliber .40 S&W
Overall Length 6.85 inches
Height including magazine 5.00 inches
Width 1.18 inches
Length between sights 6.02 inches
Barrel length 4.02 inches
Barrel Rifling Hexagonal w/ right hand twist
Length of twist 9.84 inches (roughly 1:9)
Magazine capacity 10+1, 13+1 (will also accept 15 round G22 magazines)
Weight (empty) 21.16 ounces
Empty magazine weight 2.46 ounces
Full magazine ~9.87 ounces
Weight w/ full magazine ~31.03 ounces
Trigger pull (stock) ~5.5 pounds
Safeties Glock Safe Action 3 internal safety system (trigger, firing pin block and drop)

This is almost the perfect sized multi-use pistol I have held or shot! Size is important, and I love the size of this G23. The grip is just long enough to get all of the fingers of my meat paw on it securely but still short enough to be carried as a CCW. The barrel length is just about right to use as either a CCW or a primary duty weapon (I know of least one PD, Tombstone, AZ, that has adopted it as its primary duty weapon. It is said that many consider either the G23 or G19 to be the one hand gun that they would want if they were strictly limited to having just one hand gun in their collection. I think this belief is well founded. It really is hard to fault the dimensions of this pistol once you have held and shot it. I hear that upon graduation from their academy FBI agents are given the choice to carry either the G23 or its full sized brother the G22 and the majority of them choose the G23. Magazine capacity is 13+1 (for those of us in “non-enlightened” states that don’t limit our citizenry to 10 rounds) which is more than enough I would think for most CCW applications, large enough for duty use and only 2 rounds less than the G22. If you were to go with the G19 in 9mm you would get 15+1 in the same sized package.

Just to show the size of the G23 here it is in my meat paw. Like I said its just about the perfect size for both CCW and duty needs. And yes, I have my finger on the trigger. I double damn checked the chamber and had an empty mag in it. I just wanted to show that despite some people’s claims to the contrary, that the grip on a Glock is not so big as to prevent you from getting a solid finger on the trigger.

The RTF2 grip is awesome! Alright, let me “get a grip” here before I go on (get it! funny stuff, huh?!?). Corny jokes aside, it took me a day or two to get used to the thousands of “polymids” – as Glock calls them – shaped spikes all over the grip before I could handle them comfortably without notice. Now I can hardly think how I ever got along without them. Supposedly born out of requests from special warfare operators to give them a gripping surface that worked equally as well dry as when wet with water, sweat, mud, oil, blood, gut and everything else they might encounter I think Glock came up with the solution. Again, I had to get used to them with my bare hands. They felt abrasive the first couple of days shooting it but now it feels like my hand is LOCKED into the pistol when I am holding it.

Top: check out all of those polymids! Bottom: RTF2 grip next to my G22 Gen3.

Meprolight night sites for the Glock are OK. I had them installed at the store since they were only around $60 with my retired military Glock discount. Nothing major to report over Trijicons, they seem a bit brighter during the day but either way you go with either you will be fine. Glock 22 with Trijicon sights (left) next to the Glock 23 with Meprolights. Not a whole lot of difference in my book. Please note I have replaced the scratched back plate of the G22.

As with all Glocks I have bought I installed the extended slide stop and grip plug. Simple, inexpensive upgrades that you can install yourself with very minimal instruction and both add unobtrusive, yet functional, additions to your pistol.

Glocks now ship with 3 mags! Yeah! now you can have 1 in the weapon and 2 on your side like God intended. Thanks Glock!

As with all defensive firearms, use some good ammo! While the el cheapo brand white box FMJ stuff is cool for punching holes in paper at the range, you need good expanding ammunition in the magazine if you need to defend yourself. I use either Winchester Silver Tip 155gr HP or Winchester Ranger 155gr JHP rounds. I have somehow gravitated to the lighter and faster loads for my CCW carry. I don’t have justification as to why, it just kind of happened. Oh well, if I am lucky I will never have to find out if I made the right decision anyway.

Slipstream it. Use Slipstream or any other quality lubricant (I have drank the Slipstream cool aid also apparently, I think it was sitting next to the pitcher of Magpul cool aid) to lube the pistol. Found a good video on YouTube of lubing a Glock using the easily remembered “3-2-1 method”.

The new scalloped slide serrations…meh. Yeah, they seem to grip a bit more, but the nice thing about the old ones is that they went all the way through the height of the slide and gave you that edge between the slide surface and the relief of the cut that was very easy to get a purchase one. If you grip it properly you won’t have any issues with the scalloped pattern of the RTF2. Thought it was interesting when the Gen 4 G22 and G17 came out they went back to the “old” style serrations. Oh well, “meh” I say again. G22 with “classic” serrations on the left and the G23 with the scalloped serrations on the right. Meh.

What the hell is up with the accessory rails? I have put my Insight M3 light on it a couple of times and to my dismay it seems to be gouging the plastic along the edge of the rails with small nicks. I am really not worried about any long term function or durability issues with the gun as they are small and I don’t plan on hanging a light on it a lot. I am still curious on how they got there though and may contact Glock about it.

Get a decent holster for it. A good gun deserves a good holster to be carried in. Once again I got a Custom Carry Concepts versaclip for daily carry. For $20 its hard to beat it combination of comfort, ease of use and durability. The kydex not only is easy to draw and return to but also provides positive (and adjustable) retention.

This is the 4th Versaclip that I have ordered from Custom Carry Concepts. Quite a deal for $20.

Couple hundred rounds down the barrel without a hitch. Not that I expected anything less with FMJ range ammo, but still notable. Glocks are almost legendary (OK they ARE legendary) for being the Timex (takes a lickin’ and keeps on tickin’) and Energizer Bunny (Keeps going and going…) of the firearm world. There are entire web pages and video segments on Glock torture tests – check out the 30 video series by schapman43 . While we are on that subject found another interesting video on YouTube. Here a guy buries his Glock 21 .45 for two years and then digs it up, hoses it off and he and some buddies burn 500 rounds through it. Yeah there are a few malfunctions, but considering the condition it is in that is pretty damn good. The funny this was that while watching the video I all of a sudden blurted out “hey, I know that guy!” Right there at the 4:53 mark I see a guy I met at Appleseed up in Gibsonberg, Ohio last year named Mike. Not only did I meet this guy he was the one that was nice enough to let me cut loose with his custom Springfield M1A and get a couple of dings on the 500 yard steel target. A quick email to the video’s poster confirmed that was indeed Mike and the Sandusky County Sportsmen’s Club where I shot Appleseed was where this was taken. It’s a small world….and one in which I now have a hankerin’ for both a M1A and a Glock 21!

Lastly, its a GLOCK! I said once before that you use one Glock you’ve just about used them all. If you have shot any Glock you know the deal….the grip angle – you either love it or hate it, the grip width – you either love it, hate it or deal with it (the old 2x4 that works analogy), don’t use unjacketed lead ammo, the trigger is a Glock as well – a bit mushy with a constant let off and over travel that you learn to live with. Disassembly is in the classic Glock tradition, I am not a big fan of having to pull the trigger to disassemble them but as long as you double check the process MOST people do it without incident (as I am typing this some idiot just put a round through his floor trying to take his apart).

But most of all with a Glock, it just works.. for me and hundred of thousands of others.

OK, with these 5 parts, there are only another 32 that make up the entire weapon, you can disassemble them all totally in under 5 minutes.

No comments: