2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Planning ahead for emergencies….

waterI had a bit of a plumbing crisis at the house yesterday (self created, hey I work in IT not plumbing) and basically it caused me to turn off the water main until I could get a pro in here today (he is working as I speak).  The thing that struck me instantly was how inconvenient it is not to have running water available at the touch of a lever.  You would think that after living out of a canteen cup in the woods for all those years that I would be used to “roughing it” but that is far from the truth.  In fact, I think now that I am totally separated from the military I have gotten “soft” to the point that I am actually more whiney and sensitive than before I entered the service 23 years ago.  Anyway, my family has never really had to worry about that stuff and since they are females the have even a bigger water need than I for “aesthetic” purposes.  Even then all the things we use water for on a daily basis is staggering..cooking, cleaning, washing, toilet use…and it goes on.  Not having it readily available and the impact it had on us even for an evening was pretty eye opening. 

Both the federal and state EMA offices in Ohio clearly state to store water for emergency use in case our normal supply is contaminated or otherwise unavailable, but how many of us actually do just that.  We were fortunate that this was just an isolated incident at my house and we could easily go to the store and buy some jugs of water for hygiene and drinking last night (we went to my in-laws for showers) and we filled buckets with snow and melted them over our heat registers to have water to flush the toilets.  All in all we were OK.  But what if there was some type of situation that we couldn’t “make do” for a day and had to rely on what we had on hand?  The FEMA guidelines suggest 1 gallon per person / per day.  So I would double that or even triple that amount to have on hand for 3 days.  So lets do my water math:

3 people x 2 gallons/day x 3 days = 18 gallons on hand!  Adding an additional 2 gallons for animal use (I love my pets) and it comes up to 20 gallons I should have on hand at all times for emergencies.  Thankfully this only amounts to about $20 in cost and giving up some storage space that I already have to give.  And of course I am generously over budgeting also, better to have and not need that need and not have with water….and besides I am a former “desert warrior”…water is my thingy…

scan0006So what does this have to do with firearms…well, all of those lists that the government puts out never have firearms on them (for what I see as political reasons – can’t endorse guns you know and upset people).  Regardless, I am a firm believer that having a firearm ready for a time of crisis is a very prudent thing to do.  I hope I never am put into a situation where I have to defend myself or my family in a time of crisis but you never know.   I remember back in the 90’s during the LA riots after the Rodney King verdict that there were a group of Korean business owners that kept looters at bay by guarding their businesses from their rooftops with weapons.  The following vid shows this and its almost comical listening to the announcers “well they don’t seem to have AK-47’s, just regular rifles” and “there are a lot of people armed” and “we certainly have all the ingredients for confrontation”….yeah, a bunch of rioters and looter consisting of criminals and some armed citizens protecting their property…lets vulcanize the gun owners shall we..

During Hurricane Katrina there were weapons present to that the police and other government agencies quickly (and illegally) confiscated.  5 years after the crisis gun owners were finally able to get their property back after a series of court challenges.  It was wrong to take their guns but in certain situations I see where it would have been necessary to do so to ensure the safety of officers and troops on the ground.  But in the way some of this confiscation was carried out was waaaay out of line, just watch below..

Either way, in my book it is better to have a gun if you are in such a situation and have if confiscated that to not have one to begin with.  Hell, even if its just a .22lr revolver its something.  I am not talking about getting ready for the next revolution or the “great zombie apocalypse” here, but being able to protect your family in times of crisis when law enforcement can’t. But hey, that's just my 2 cents….you mileage may vary.

Part of my “contingency plan” in case of emergency…

No comments: