2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from Me to you!

I can't believe another Christmas and holiday season is upon us. Time seems to exponentially accelerate the older I get. I can (barely) remember being the same age as my daughter and anguishing over the days prior to Christmas and especially the predawn hours on Christmas day laying awake in my bed waiting for my parents to get up so the carnage of ripping opening gifts could begin. Now I look forward to getting a good nights sleep and then being jostled awake by my 7 year old alarm clock telling me to get up because Santa has left a over indulgent amount of presents for her. Yes, my daughter is an only child and Santa usually spoils her despite any less than perfect behavior she may have committed prior to Jesus' birthday. what can I say, Santa really loves my little girl.

Despite her mother's protests, in a few years my daughter will be getting a long box under the tree from Santa containing a .22 LR bolt action rifle. I was not so lucky to have gotten such a gift at her age. Thus was the environment that I grew up in. As most can tell, by title picture on this blog is of Ralphie from A Christmas Story shooting his Red Ryder BB gun he finally gets. The byline for my blog is "You'll shoot your eye out kid.." a reoccurring message in the movie to poor Ralphie as he desperately tries to get the message to Santa that a BB guns is what he really wants. Why did I choose these? Simply because it is one of the most awesome movies ever and it loosely mirrors my own childhood in some respects. My entire early life was spent watching WW II movies and contemplating the mysteries of firearms without every touching one. I never got a BB gun or anything else remotely firearm related under the tree or in my stocking no matter how much I pleaded with the big guy in the red suit. Some would argue that if I had been introduced to firearms at an early age my rush to join the Army when old enough may not have been so strong. Regardless, I don't regret the military or the way my parents raised me, I am happy enough in my life now.

I do want to pass on our country's great tradition of the Rifleman onto my daughter though, so at least I will know that if nothing else that she will be safe around firearms because I am the one that will be teaching her, not some liberal educator passing out a pamphlet in school touting the horrors of firearms and how looking at one can cause permanent damage. She will gain a healthy respect for firearms and her rights as an American to own one if she so chooses later in her life. When old enough I will also allow her to shoot pistols and practice to defend herself if need be. I only have one child, I don't have any spares. I will make sure that she can take care of herself.

So, I wish each and everyone a safe, happy and joyous Christmas and holiday season, in whichever form it may take for you. Be thankful for our families and our freedoms. While nobody can take my family from me, my freedoms are somewhat more threatened. Enjoy both!

And while I may have his attention through the great miracle of the Internet...Santa if you could slip a few more items down the chimney with my name on it, I would appreciate the following...

1. A Springfield M1A
2. A Sig P229 SCT
3. An Eotech 512 HWS
4. A GLOCK 23
5. Ammo
6. More Ammo
7. A Samson Field Survivor tool
8. A custom trigger group for my 10/22
9. 10 Magpul PMags
10. Weapon flashlight mount for an AR


1 comment:

Kevin Delaney said...

Good post Huey! I plan on doing the same with my daughter when she is old enough.

Merry Christmas!