2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Locked 'N UNLoaded

OK, so here I am a day after ranting about blogging burn out posting again. Ironic, no?

Late this summer I got wind of a new "reality" series coming to Showtime called Lock 'n Loaded that followed the activity in a gun shop via concealed cameras. Sounded like a pretty good idea. I was kind of wondering what type of pro/anti spin might be put on it, but figuring that since the folks working in the gun shop would have to sign releases for it to be made that it would have a fighting chance.


The original trailer for Lock 'n Load from Showtime.

At the time I didn't subscribe to Showtime, I am more of a HBO type guy. I went ahead and ordered Showtime and set my DVR to record each of the 6 episodes. Its now going on week 4 of the series. I've canceled Showtime. This show really didn't do anything for me. I am not the only one who it apparently didn't impress, I have read several reviews on line that pan the show for various reasons.

Number one, they stole the name of the show from R. Lee Ermey's series on The History Channel. Shame on you for that first and foremost!

You stole my show's name?!? What is your major malfunction numbnuts!!

The entire thing seemed too set up for my tastes to be a "reality" based show. First off the star of the show, Josh, is apparently an aspiring actor and was the one who sought to have the show produced by Showtime to get his career started. Understandable, but does it really make it a reality show when one of the participants may be trying to get a specific response from unknowing participants and then passing that off as reality. In the second episode he actually pulls a stun gun out from behind the counter and urges a customer to use it on his buddy. Can you believe that? I am sure liability insurance on a gun store is high enough without prompting your customers to use your wares on each other. And about the shop....well, I hate to pass judgement since I personally have never stepped foot inside the place, but it doesn't seem to be the most elaborate place that they could have chosen to shoot a show about a gun shop. Maybe the cameras don't do it justice. One of my favorite shop in Columbus is just a small place with good people working there. The section that they concentrate on is the counter Josh is constantly at and has two glass cases and what appears to be an 8 or 10 foot rack against the wall that is sometimes full and sometimes not of long guns.

Hi, I'm josh, let me put this barrel in your face and then I'll get your bud to taze you.

I guess what really hit a sour point with me was in episode 1 where a female shooter comes in looking for skeet shotguns. They interact where it is revealed that Josh had just happened to be going skeet shooting the next day and they agree to meet and shoot some clays. We watch Josh show up in overalls with his tats all on display and the woman show up with a shooting jacket on and then proceed to totally school him in the match. Wow, it turns out that she is a world champion in skeet or something like that! What a surprise! And she just happened to walk into a gun shop that was shooting a show for Showtime with an aspiring actor! I do feel sorry for her though, that speech impediment that makes it sound like you are reading a script or off of cue cards must be hell to live with on a daily basis. Seriously, the series had to stoop to putting a "ringer" into it on the first episode.

The other customer he interacts with all seem to have a niche to fall in so he can experience the wide variety of people in our society that enjoy shooting. He's got men, women, old, young, black, white, Hispanic and just about every mix of each in every way possible. Some of the ways he interacts with them are humorous, some not so much. Is calling a customer "gangsta" really the image the pro-gun community want to portray? Especially in a store that is about 10 miles from Columbine H.S. in Colorado?

Some people might like this show. As for me, I have better ways to spend the extra cash that it cost to have Showtime piped onto the TV (ammo!) I wish Josh the host the best in his acting career because he does have some presence on the screen and I could see him doing TV for a living at some point. I just don't think he chose the right vehicle to try and make his big break into the limelight. For anyone who regularly subscribes to Showtime I suggest you watch the show and make up your own mind. As for me, I will quietly wait unit the next season of True Blood on HBO makes it way onto cable before I start regularly adhering to the TV again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your insight and can see where you might have been turned off, actually the 4th episode was the best so far. But contrary to what you might assume of the host, I met that guy in his shop in Los Angeles a few years before this was shot, not only was he a dynamite salesman, he was a really nice guy. From what I understand he was approached. He was a theater actor by night and was never interested in the "limelight" but the particular shop in Los Angeles had a lot of studio types buying there. It was a very classy well stocked showroom for California. Showtime may have been trying to figure out what to do, usually first seasons are rocky at best, but I do think they are on to something, and from what I remember about "Josh" he was a class act and genuinely good dude. Very funny, very knowledgeable in the showroom, and made our buying pretty painless, thats saying alot for the people's republic of California. Just wanted to pipe in and say it was cool to see a show not bashing gun people.

Huey148 said...

Got a comment from a reader from Sweden this morning, it had a rather lengthy personal advertisement that I deleted. Here is the part of it that relates to the post:

As a Swede, I have considerable symapthy to some typically American views not too cherished by Official Sweden. The right for ordinary citizens to carry arms seems to me reasonable, and basically democratic. On the Swedish countrysida, hunting is commion, so in contrast to Germany and Finland, here we have a relatively high proportion of rifle owners. This probably due to profound cultural differences. We have seen no despetados shootouts; the shootouts having occuree is perpetrated by organiz crime, that get thets the guns anyway. For the American society, it seems to me, as an observer overseas, the problem i s soiciety, not the guns. These massacres are made by abject loners who feel rejected and and outcast. The rifle associations should be care ful cultivating a culture of tolerande and respect to every person as a human being, and this well you will do fine. Good luck to you.
- Peter Ingestad, Sweden

I am always glad to post all responses to my posts, especially those from folks who may have different outlooks on the issue, like Swedes! Thanks for posting Peter!

Maria Marquez said...

This show isn't a "set up" it's actually real, maybe when they go out of the shop, but everything else is unscripted, I should know, my boyfriend is the veteran and he never was asked to say something and he didn't know he was on camera till he was leaving, so how could it be "too set up" ? It's not the Bachelor for crying out loud. For a first season it showed promise.

Huey148 said...

Maria, thanks for posting. I never doubted the genuineness of most of the people he interacted with. But the fact of that one obviously staged part of episode one made me suspect of everything that may have followed. Sorry if you took my words as an insult to your boyfriend the veteran (of which I am also, thank you for his service), they were not intended as such.