2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Open carry of a firearm: legal, Open carry of her breasts: not so legal


OK, so I am going to push the PG-13 envelope of this blog a bit on this one.

A couple of days ago young woman named Cassidy and her friends take a walk down the street, she decides to go topless to make a statement of equality. Oh yeah, and she's packing a pistol openly on her hip. Long story short, she gets stopped by the police who don't seem to give a damn about the pistol but her breasts do draw some ire. Now I'm not going to say that I am some enlightened member of the Y chromosome club and look beyond a woman's physical appearance. I'm a guy, I still believe we are hardwired at some point to look. Hell if this had happened here in Columbus none of this would have been illegal, but you definitely would of heard about it on the news. Truth is, nobody goes topless anymore. Closest we got was a sting operation in a local public part where the police got some women to go their topless and get a guy to expose himself, I think he got away on entrapment. Anyway, lets take a look at the video..







OK, couple of things here.

Classic civil disobedience, she properly asked why she was being detained (knowing perfectly well why) and then peacefully went along with the arrest. Same tactic used during the civil rights era and women's movement. Some protesters think burning cars and breaking stuff is the way to get noticed. Trust me, this young lady will have more impact on this locally than any vandalism could of produced.



The police acted accordingly and with the proper amount of restraint. Given this is New Hampshire, possibly one of the most Libertarian of states it is probably not the first time these officers have had to deal with this type of situation. Even dealing with obviously confrontational responses to their attempts to de-escalate the situation they remained professional at all times like they should. Good for them. Interestingly she goes from carrying in the open to apparently not having a gun on at all when arrested. If New Hampshire police operate anything like Ohio cops they may have asked her to disarm and relinquish control of the firearm to them upon contact. Possibly she may have taken it off and handed to a friend when she saw she was going to interact with the police. Matter of fact now that I think about it, the police officers may not of known there was a firearm present at all.

If any officers read this I would appreciate maybe a short comment on how you would of acted in this situation assuming a gun was present. Since many of my readers may have CCW licenses I think it may be helpful for all involved if we were enlightened to your procedures as not to have any "incidents" should we meet while you are in your official capacity.



I'm not saying what this young lady did was right or wrong. Legally in that jurisdiction she was wrong and was willing to stand up for what she believed in knowing the consequences. Many Americans today are doing the same for many reasons including - you probably guessed this was coming - the 2nd Amendment. Maybe its time I took my turn in line to stand up for what I believe in. Anyone for a little open carry walk.....I guarantee you I will be clothed .

And yes Kevin, I stole the picture from your blog.

1 comment:

Kevin Delaney said...

Thats ok.... I stole it from somone else. I was just glad to read the you were going to keep your cloths on!!!!