2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

What happens when the gun can't leave the car..

This is what happens to it. I think I may have either mentioned this before or touched on it. I have a lockable box (Stack-On, $35) that is secured to my truck via a cable and is further secured in a lockable compartment built into the center portion of the front bench of my truck. If you didn't already own a version of my vehicle most people wouldn't even know the compartment was there, especially when the center armrest console is down over it. To go a step further, when I have my J-Frame in there I also use the internal key lock on it. I need to get an easier to use trigger lock for my pistols that one other then the clamshell/screw types. If it was legal to do so, I would take my ammo to work with me instead of leaving it in the vehicle. Hopefully, in the unfortunate event that my truck is stolen thieves will not be able to gain access to my weapon and if they do I hope to show I used due diligence to secure it.

My Kel-Tec P-3AT about to be safely tucked away for the day. The weapon is cleared with the magazine next to it, I also have some spare .38 rounds for my other primary carry piece there also.

Any type of security, in order to be effective, should be a layered approach. No single element should be relied upon to totally secure it. Each layer of the "onion" that you create is used to delay and discourage the intruder from going further. No lock is foolproof or sentry vigilant enough to do the job itself. Let me quickly review what layers I have in place:

  • Truck is parked in a open, well lit private lot during daytime hours with a lot attendant on sight.
  • Vehicle is locked with all valuable stored out of sight.
  • Center arm rest console is down over storage compartment that is hard to detect even without it.
  • Storage console is locked.
  • Steel lock box secured to bolted on rail in truck interior and also key locked itself.
  • Weapon key locked itself (if applicable) or trigger guard locked (to be implimented).

Sure, the downside to all of this is that the most likely time I would use my weapon in my vehicle would be upon exiting or entering when I am most vulnerable to attack and it would take an excessive amount of time to gain access to my weapon. Security is also about trade offs and cost/benefit analysis. A few days ago I posted about not carrying into Class D liquor Establishments when a friend of mine does. That was a cost/benefit consideration just like this is. I generally go to and from work during rush hour with multiple other people around during generally daylight hours (except during winter and then sometimes the weather itself is a deterrent to someone outside for nefarious reasons), I am a bigger guy and try to always carry myself with confident vigilance as not to be a obvious target for thieves or muggers, and I also always carry some other form of self defense (chem spray, kubotan type object or what have you) and if worse comes to worse I will just give him my wallet and keys and let him take my truck. I have Onstar with my GM truck that I can call and report it stolen and have the police track it almost immediately. In the end its not worth losing my life over. Most criminals want a quick in and out and would rather take your stuff and leave than engage in a physical confrontation. Wow, this sounds like a post for another day. I guess I have a start!

No comments: