2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Something I hope never happens to me...

Just found out in an email from him that a friend of mine from high school was involved in a fatal shooting as a Columbus Police Officer yesterday after a high speed chase and crash on I-70 in Columbus involving a wanted rape suspect from Los Angeles. I emailed him concerning a pistol I was trying to sell and he responded that he was involved in the shooting and didn't have time to pass the flyer I sent him around the station because he shot the suspect and was given the day off. How do you respond to that? My experience in "combat" didn't come close to actually having to pull the trigger on someone so how the hell do you respond to that? Especially when he responds with "sorry" about not being able to help me after he tells me about the shooting?

This is the best I could muster

Damn, don't be sorry, I didn't realize that was you when I read the
story, XXXXXXXXXX it reads, you've always been XXXX to me. I
don't know whats going through your head right now but I am glad it was him and not you or one of the other officers that went down. Don't know what to say other than thanks for doing your job, hope you don't take that the wrong way. It can't be easy having to go through something like this but I hope you realize the vast majority of us civilians appreciate the job you do day in and day out. I know you can't talk about it right now for various reasons and you are still probably replaying it in your head but if you need to talk about it take advantage of any services they offer. If nothing else give me a call and you can have my ear. You're a damn good sheepdog man, if you don't understand that I'll clue you in later.

I'll be praying for you and your family bro.

Pete


I hope I never have to go through what he is going through. As a CCW holder I carry a weapon to protect myself with it as a last resort. I do not relish the idea of having to take another's life without cause. Anyone who does needs to step back, relinquish their weapon and take another look at themselves before they pick it back up.

Under most any other circumstance I would never do this, but, I ask that anyone reading this take a moment and pray to your Deity of choice for the 6 officers, and even the suspect, involved in this shooting that they all may find peace and deliverance through this ordeal.

2 comments:

James R. Rummel said...

I agree with what you said, Huey, and think you showed a lot of class in your remarks to your buddy.

Huey148 said...

thanks James.