2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Thursday, July 23, 2009

An internal conflict?, could be...

I have remarked on more that one occasion about our current Governor of Ohio Ted Strickland and how he has really helped out the pro 2nd movement here and has also helped pass legislature that has more easily defined CCW laws and made it a better state to carry in. He's a democrat. The party of my normal opposition. Not to get political here but the fact is germane to the rest of the post. Though I have also stated on more than one occasion that the 2nd amendment is bigger than just one party, I still would have a hard time voting on the blue side of the ballot for any reason.

Former congressman and Fox News commentator John Kasich, a republican from my home town of Westerville, Ohio has announced his intention to run against Governor Strickland in 2010. While a member of congress he helped broker the 1994 "Assault Weapons Ban" and Brady Bill and has generally been an opponent of the 2nd Amendment movement.

Strickland is a fiscal liberal while Kasich is a fiscal conservative.

What do you do?

Well, Brent Greer (who is a lot more into the movement than I am) over at The Ready Line took a look at the possibilities of this contest if it happens and lays it down for Ohio gun owners - vote for Strickland is his advice. He makes some good points about which candidate is obviously the man for gun owners and it clearly is Strickland by his account. Still, I would hate to ever put myself into a situation where I only voted based on one issue or personal trait of a candidate. Other issues such as abortion, spending (guns and butter from my very first post!), national policy and other issues also make a big impact on my vote. Still, I would have a hard time voting for someone that was determined to resist my intention to exercise my constitution right to keep and bear arms that they helped pass a 10 year senseless ban on some types of weapons because they "look scary".

I realize that it is important to try and bring as many people on the other side of the spectrum over to your views, but what if you are in a situation where the other party clearly votes more in favor of your position then your own party does? I recently posted a thank you to our Attorney General, Richard Cordray, for filing on behalf of a paper supporting the application of the 2nd amendment in regard to states rights applications. He's also a Democrat. Man, I am going to have to do some deep introspective thinking in the next year.

Oh yeah, and he even has a few thought about Republican Mike DeWine running for AG against Cordray.

Your thoughts?

1 comment:

GunGeek said...

Basically, you line up your priorities on what is the most important to you right now (and in the near future while the guy is in office) and rate each one on how well you think they will fare in each category.

What's important can change drastically over time. Taxes and spending may be more important now than at other times in recent years, but if you see state's rights as becoming more and more important then who sits in the Governor's chair can be very critical.

Give each area a percentage, adding up to 100%. Grade each candidate in each area and work up a final grade.

I'm about as conservative as you can get (seriously), but I've still voted for Democrats about 20 times so far.

Ask a typical self-proclaimed "moderate" Democrat how many times he's voted for a Republican and see what kind of answer you get. I'll bet it will tell you just how "moderate" they really are.