2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Friday, June 26, 2009

They call me "Bob"...

Had to take the other day off of work to stay home for roofers to replace my roof, or so saith the spouse, aka Household 6. After watching them for about and hour I realized "wow, this is a monumental waste of time". I gave the crew leader my cell number in case anything happened and went and got my oil changed. On the way back I stopped by this little gun shop up the road from me a bit that I don't normally go to . Ended up buying some .357 ammo from him and shooting the bull with him for a bit. He is a former marine and retired police officer from "Over-The-Reine, Ohio (a suburb of Cincinnati) and the subject came up of backup guns. His was a S&W Chief's special for many a year with a bobbed hammer. I mentioned that I had thought of it but was hesitant. After seeing his I told him that I was convinced. He had a gunsmith bench and tools there so for $20 I got my hammer bobbed on my 637. He said there was no need to go inside and grind off the notch for single action shooting since there was no hammer to grasp onto anymore. I agreed. I will need to take it back for the final grind and polish as he was out of jeweler's rouge, but it looks good and my fears of snagging the hammer on drawing are pretty much gone now.

4 comments:

SuperFrikinAwsome said...

Was it a Doulble or single action? Ive never heard of getting a hammer bobbed off. Why would you do it? Fear of the hammer getting caught in your shirt? I dont think id want to lose my double action pull unless the trigger on single is very light. The pull on my GP100 is pretty heavy in SAO.

SuperFrikinAwsome said...

I feel like a dummy.... I ment to say DOA when i said SOA.... DUH....

Huey148 said...

snagging is exactly the reason I did it, as a concealed piece I wear it under my shirt and didn't want that ever to become an issue. Soem will argue that lightening the hammer may result in light primer strikes and misfires, but I have yet to meet a single flesh and blood person face to face that believes that. Also, single action shooting with a revolver is for target practice, IMHO. Too many police officers have had to go under review and to trial because they held a suspect at a single action cock and the pistol went bang when their trigger finger bumped it.

BTW, nice blog start, I am still drooling over your AR.

SuperFrikinAwsome said...

The AR pic on my blog isnt mine. Its just a pic i pulled off the internet cause i didnt know how to post my own. BUT!!! If you want to see it I posted a new pic on my blog! I finally got a chance to change it. (Plus i wasnt exactly sure how to crop it and all. Ive been useing a Mac for years and im relearning how to use a PC.)

When do you plan on taking Bob out? Do you notice any differance in the trigger pull when you dry fire?