2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Judged by 12 or carried by 6....


Somewhat of an old argument for and against armed defense was brought up last night between myself and a good friend of mine that helped jump start my recent interest into firearms of last year. We were talking about carrying our CCW pieces and when we do and do not. He remarked that he has carried into restaurants that have a "Class D" license here in Ohio (they serve open containers and well drinks) which we are prohibited from carrying in. His logic is that he will not consume alcohol at all while carrying (a very good thing IMHO) and he would rather keep the option to defend himself if needed. I agree that the law is silly in this aspect here in Ohio (how many times have you gone into an Olive Garden, TGI Fridays or Ruby Tuesdays without even looking at the drink menu), but the law is the law. I will not violate it as to me the cost/benefit ratio is not high enough in the area locations that I frequent to warrant the risk. This brought to mind a post I made back in April entitled "Suzanna Hupp Lays It Down". In it former Texas lawmaker Suzanna Gratia Hupp testified before congress about her own experience NOT carrying in a restaurant due to legalities that MAY have directly led to the deaths of several persons, including her own parents, when a deranged gunman drove into the restaurant and opened fire. Watch it if you have not done so already, pretty convincing argument made by her. I personally will try and persuade my legislature here in Ohio to clarify this part of the law to remove this logical oversight.

Just to be clear, I have no problem not being able to carry into courthouses and other government buildings that provide their own armed security forces whether they be county sheriff's, state patrol officers or private security personnel. Also any establishment whose primary purpose is the dispensing and consumption of alcoholic beverages I also don't have an issue with a no carry provision. They should however extend the allowance of CCW permits among the staffs of these businesses to extend beyond just the business owner (remember the murder of 4 persons - including Pantera/Damage Plan guitarist "Dimebag" Darrel Abbott - at the Alrosa Villa bar here in Columbus a few years ago). No sorry, just because your local pub serves hot pretzel bites and potato skins from its kitchen doesn't cut it in my book.

So what do you think? Is it worth the legal ramification if caught to carry in places that are off limits in your own situation to ensure that you are armed at all times? I am starting a new poll on the blog and also feel free to leave a comment or two.

Just a note, on the advice of another friend, I initiated comment moderation on this blog so your comments may take a bit to see as I now read and review each before it goes on the page.

2 comments:

James R. Rummel said...

Good post.

Huey148 said...

Thanks James. I am becoming more interested and involved with the political aspect of gun rights here in Ohio and I am attempting to generate some honest to goodness intellectual posts here to voice my opinion on these matters. Of course there will always be room for some fun stuff and such!