2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Importance of Documenting Your Firearms

No, I'm not commenting on the proposed Blair Holt Bill (HR 45 in Congress) that would require the registering of all purchased firearms both at the initial time of sale and any subsequent transfer of ownership of said firearms. That is a whole different ball of wax for another time.

What I am talking about here is creating your own records of what you have in case your guns are lost, stolen or lost in a fire or other disaster. James over at Hell In A Handbasket has done a good post entitled Lock Them Up! Write It Down! He does one of the blogs that I read daily as he is not only another Columbus gun blogger, but also has some good info on there. In this article he points out some important reasons to document your weapons. One thing I don't think he touched on is the importance of documenting your weapons in the case of a fire or other disaster where they are lost or destroyed. I have quite a little investment in mine and would hate to have to rebuild my collection at today's prices. While I am on the subject, make sure that firearms and related items are covered under your policy, you may have to buy a rider for them. I don't personally own a fire safe for mine (yet), I do have a fireproof box for my reloading powder, primers and as much ammo as I can fit in there at a time.
The entrance to the late Charleton Heston's gun vault...wow!

Also take note of some of the comments readers have posted. I have done a couple of different methods but I have settled on a couple of pictures of my firearms (as if I don't have enough already) along with a scanned copy of the purchase receipt and description all collected electronically and kept on a secured flash drive and also as an encrypted file in an online storage medium.
Here is an example I found online of someone who is using a database called My Gun Collection ($14.99, shareware) to store their firearm info, a bit much for many folks but I like it! I plan on downloading this program and some others, comparing them and reporting on it in the future.

I am posting a bit more for the next day or so as I want to push some stuff out that I have been working on before I go on vacation. Hope anyone who stumbles upon this site enjoys!

No comments: