2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Friday, May 29, 2009

Ammo Found!

Actually found a decent supply of ammo down at a local shop yesterday and bought some to stockpile and replace the rounds I have shot recently. Prices are definitely up and there were purchase limits, but at least I saw some calibers that I have not been able to find lately, .380 ACP to be precise. It was expensive, $20 for a box of 50 Fiocchi FMJ target ammo, but I haven't seen .380 on the shelf at this place that you could buy without also having to buy a pistol to put it in. The Ruger LCP and Kel-Tec P3-AT, along with concealed carry, are to blame.

Also picked up some Hornady Critical Defense FTX .380 personal protection rounds for my Bersa. These look like some interesting rounds, designed specifically for expansion, they use a soft material in the cavity of the hollow point to compress and push the bullet open as it enters the target. This is similar to the Pow'RBall ammo that Corbon has had out for a while, but instead of a solid ball the material in the FTX rounds is more pliable and seems to be aimed at utilizing the hydrostatic shock more effectively. The marketing material for the round prominently displays the Ruger LCP and there is some conjecture that the round was deliberately designed for this platform. I would reject this notion as I have also seen it marketed as a way to produce higher velocity rounds for lever action rifles that allow a pointed tip without the worry of primer strikes and rounds going off in a tubular magazine. The salesman assured me that they are superior to the Winchester Silvertip HP rounds I currently carry in my Bersa .380. At about $1 a round I won't be wasting these, though I will be firing a few just to see how they shoot compared to the Winchester.

As a side note, bricks of .22LR are still not to be found anywhere. I could get the plastic box of 100 subsonic rounds for $8.99 but that was about it. The .22 is such a versatile round that I can understand why people are gobbling it up to stockpile. It merits a post of its own sometime. Funny thing is that, unless somehow a ban on ALL firearms is passed, I cannot see many weapons chambered for it that would be banned and the ammo controlled or restricted.


I also picked up 200 rounds of Bulgarian 7.62x54R ammo to feed the Mosin and also a hundred rounds a piece of range ammo in .40 and .45. After all was said and done, I spent $180 on ammo for about 450 assorted rounds. I have to keep asking myself "when will this all end?". Unfortunately I don't like the answers I keep giving myself.

No comments: