2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Do As I Say AND As I Do, Part Deaux

Last month I sent an email to my congressman, Pat Tiberi, urging him to vote against HB45, aka the Blair Holt Bill. I posted a copy of my letter in his blog here.

What do you know, I got a response:

April 28, 2009

Mr. Peter Stanford
XXXXXXXXXXXX
Lewis Center, OH 43035-8934

Dear Mr. Stanford,

Thank you for your letter regarding the Blair Holt's Firearm
Licensing and Record of Sale Act. I appreciate this opportunity to
correspond with you.


As I am sure you know, I support a law abiding citizen's right
to bear arms. This right is enshrined in the Second Amendment to the U.S.
Constitution, and I do not support laws that would impede the use of firearms
for hunting, self-defense, sporting, or other legal
purposes.


As you may know, H.R. 45 was introduced by Representative Bobby
Rush (D-IL) on January 6, 2009. I do not support this bill. The bill
would expand restrictions of the licensing and registration process for gun
owners. If enacted, the resolution would make it illegal to own a handgun
or qualifying rifle without a federal firearms license, even for those who have
obtained a hunting license. It also establishes criminal penalties for
each violation. In order to be issued a firearm license an applicant would need
to submit to the attorney general a current photograph, their name, address and
date and place of birth, fingerprint, and a statement that the firearm will be
safely stored.


This bill has been referred to the Judiciary Committee in the
U.S. House of Representatives. Although I am not a member of this
Committee, please be sure that I will follow this bill closely. I have not
been made aware of any decision to actually address this bill in the near future
in the U.S. House.


Thank you for sharing your views with me. Please don't
hesitate to contact me in the
future.


Sincerely,


Patrick J.
Tiberi

Representative to Congress

PJT/kb


No comments: