2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Texans Fight For the Right To Carry To Work

Check out the following article.

Bill would allow Texans to take guns to work

This article got me thinking about how lucky I am to live in Ohio where this has been partially addressed by SB184 which went into effect back on September 9th, 2008. Commonly misconstrued as the "Castle Doctrine Bill", which was only one area it affected, this act clarified to a large degree much of the grey areas that confronted CCW permit holders previously. I am a state employee and as such am forbidden to carry into my place of work, I can accept that. I normally park in a parking lot over 1/2 of a mile from my place of work that is owned by the county government. I also have the option on days when the weather is really bad here in Columbus (which could be almost any day from October to April) to park in the state owned parking garage underneath our state house building itself. Until this law was passed it was illegal for me to enter unto these premises with a weapon despite the fact that the state had licensed me to carry it. The following change made this now possible:

Sec2923.126 (B)
(9) Any building that is owned by a government facility of this state or any a political subdivision of this state, and all portions of any building that is not owned by any governmental entity listed in this division but that is leased by such a governmental entity listed in this division and that is not a building that is used primarily as a shelter, restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles, or rest facility and is not a courthouse or other building or structure in which a courtroom is located that is subject to division (B)(3) of this section;

I'm good now. I may now carry my CCW weapon on my way to work and then safely, securely and responsibly store it in my vehicle at my parking location without being in violation of the law. This is exactly the type of legislation Texas needs. Hey Longhorns, Aggies, Cowboys and the rest of y'all, give us a call here in Ohio and we'll show you the light.

This link will take you to the bill in its entirety.

Governor Strickland and NRA and BFA representatives at SB184's signing.

Despite of what I think of him in other areas, I greatly appreciate the signing of this bill by Governor Ted Strickland and of his recognition of it as "common sense" legislation . To quote the Governor:
“What we've clarified in this bill I think will go a long way toward providing both law enforcement as well as law-abiding citizens some confidence that what they're doing is, in fact, consistent with the law,”
I couldn't agree more.

No comments: