2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Custom Carry Concepts Versaclip

Have you ever found yourself in the position where you want to carry your CCW weapon for the day but know at one point or another you will need to take it off because you won't be able to wear it the entire time? I normally carry on my way to work but then have to remove the weapon and secure it in my locked vehicle (itself locked up separately from the ammo) because I am not allowed by law to have weapons at my place of business. I then re-arm myself on the way home once I reach my vehicle at the end of the day. In case you're wondering, I usually carry Fox pepper spray or some other form of self defence with me walking the 3/4 mile or so from the parking lot to my office. I have real nice $70 custom leather IWB holster for my S&W M&P 40c that works great, is great looking and feels great also. Unfortunately, I have to remove my belt to put it on and off or mess around with unsnapping and snapping the retaining loops around my belt on my rear hip where I cannot bend to see clearly. This wasn't working for me so I went looking for a clip on IWB solution to overcome this limitation.

Low and behold, I found the answer to my issue right here in Ohio. Rich at Custom Carry Concepts, LLC makes kydex holsters and accessories for CCW and IDPA shooters alike. Its a small operation out of Northeastern Ohio and he often has a backlog of orders due to his work and personal schedules. In my experience, the wait is well worth the product he offers, especially for the price.

For those not familiar with Kydex, its a polymer plastic that is made pliable with the application of heat and can be formed around objects and then cools solid. It is a very common material used in the production of holsters and sheaths as it can be made without expensive machining or moulding to fit almost any shape. It is also very abrasion resistant with a Rockwell Hardness (RH) factor of 90 on the R scale (HRR scale, not to be confused with the HRC ratings used for steel or other ratings for diamonds and minerals) which make it ideal for something that will be used to insert and withdraw an object consistently.

Where other manufacturers may charge upwards of $60 for a decent Kydex holster, the most expensive item CCC offers is only about $39. The product I selected for my M&P was the $19.95 Versaclip. The Versaclip is a great holster, I'll just put that out there first so you know where I stand. It is durable, holds my pistol like a glove and stays where I put it on my waist. It is also fairly comfortable for a solid piece of plastic placed next to my body, which is important if it is something that you will wear often. It offers more than adequate coverage of the trigger guard so I feel totally confident carrying the M&P with a round in the chamber in it without fear of the trigger being activated in the holsters. It has an adjustable retention screw that you can adjust the tension required to draw. The clip is reversible from right to left handed and can be used for IWB (inside the waistband) or OWB (outside the waistband) use. I really didn't like how the M&P sat in it hanging on my belt in OWB mode, but thats just as well as I only really wanted it as a IWB carrier. You can select from either normal orientation or the standard FBI cant orientation for drawing. Again great product for the price. If I gave ratings it would be a 9.5 out of a 10 for this holster - the only ding being that it would be great if it could have a spare mag holder on the front of the holster to carry my spare mag all in one piece. Are you listening Rich?

The holster "naked"...

...and with my S&W M&P 40c snuggled inside of it.

To give you an idea of how the holster rides on your hip. I have the FBI canted model.

The other product I have bought from him is a mag sleeve which allows me to use full sized M&P mags in my compact with an extended grip surface along the entire length of the mag that wouldn't normally be covered by the pistol grip. Again, great product and a great price ($13).

My M&P .40 compact with a standard 15 round magazine inserted, functional but it could be better...

...so I added one of Custom Carry Concepts mag sleeves and...

...wow! it does look, feel and work better!

Another holster for my Bersa .380 and maybe even my Glock 22 are in my future from this guy. Please buy from him if your in the market, I'm not a paid sponsor, just a very satisfied customer. I would like to see his business succeed and maybe even go to the next level. People helping people as I say...

I have the link to Custom Carry Concepts here, it is also at the bottom of this page.

No comments: