2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Guns And Butter

Get Some!!
Yes, thats me and R. Lee Ermy (GySGT Hartman from Full Metal Jacket and the program Mail Call on the History Channel). 5/15/08 meet and greet at Vance's Gun Shop in Columbus, OH. "The Gunny" is a celebrity spokesman for Glock pistols.


What the hell is "Guns and Butter"? Well, if you were guessing its the name of a tribute band to a certain LA Rock band of the 90's, you're wrong. What it is, is a bastardized way of saying guns or butter, a concept that was given to me in an economics class in college eons ago. As my college education is taking eons to complete, this is not stretching the truth. The concept is basically this (from wikipedia):
In economics, the guns versus butter model is the classic example of the production possibility frontier. It models the relationship between a nation's investment in defense and civilian goods. In this model, a nation has to choose between two options when spending its finite resources. It can buy either guns or butter, or a combination of both. This can be seen as an analogy for choices between defense and civilian spending in more complex economies
Ok, thats that. What does it have to do here? Honestly, it was just the first thing that popped into my head when I was looking to work the word "guns" into a title. That is what this blog is going to be about, my experiences with firearms, both ones I own and ones that I have fired at one time or another.
A little background, I recently retired from just over 21 years of service in the Army National Guard, over 9 of those years in an active status as either a full time AGR member or as mobilized in the War on Terror. I started my career as an Infantryman (11B), but wound up due to my full time job requirements in the Personnel Field (75B, 75D, 42A). I served in the 148th Infantry as a Personnel NCO during Operation Noble Eagle following 9/11 stationed at Ft. Knox, KY. The 148th was one of the first Guard Battalions to be mobilized after 9/11 (we went "hot" on 10/1/01) and the first battalion sized entity to be called up from Ohio since the Korean War. I was later mobilized in 2006 with the 437th Personnel Services Detachment (PSD) and deployed to Kuwait attached to the 3rd Personnel Command (PERSCOM). While in Kuwait I was the Information Management Officer (IMO) for the Kuwait Casualty Area Command (CAC). The CAC was responsible for collecting all casualty reports for all allied entities in the CENTCOM area of responsibilities and report them to higher, as well as act as the theater notification entitiy for all all wounded and deceased Army personnel. I was responsible for maintaining the database that stored all of the names and numbers of coalition deceased and wounded members. Talk about depressing, I had to verify, twice, the total number of deceased US military personnel by name while I was there. Very sobering. Anyway, I have fired a good variety of US military small arms used since the 80's, M-16, M-9 pistol, M-203 grenade launcher, M249 SAW, M60 MG, M2 .50 MG, 81mm mortar......I have even fired a M47 Dragon.
Anyway, I don't think any of this makes me in anyway a "master of arms", but I think it does help me relate and or evaluate other firearms against this base of knowledge.
I currently own the following firearms:

(rifles in Picture top to bottom)
Romanian WASR-10 GP 7.62x39 (a civilian version of the AK-47)
Hi-Point 4095 carbine in .40 S&W caliber with a red dot scope
Russian Mosin-Nagant M44 7.62x54 Carbine

(pistols in picture left to right)
Hi-Point C9 9mm pistol
S&W M&P .40 pistol
1952 S&W J-Frame Chiefs Special revolver in .38 Special

(2nd Picture) Stoeger Cougar 8000 9mm pistol

In subsequent posts I will review all of these firearms as well as others that I have fired.
~ Huey

No comments: